CD Transports: anything in between?

The Jay's CDT Mk2 looks fantastic. Still, I am just not able to hit a $2,500 price point. On the other end, I see CEC TL5s for just over $1,050 but that is a 100 volt deal. So I'd need the step down transformer.

Is there something I should consider in between those two?

swvaaudiofan

@swvaaudiofan , I, too, have a Doge 7 tube DAC (the special edition version with tubed XLR outs) on my list. I think they are built to order at this point, though (last I checked was a couple of months ago).

I don’t have any real-world experience with it, but it definitely ticks the boxes, as the saying goes..

I run multiple players, so I could certainly use it somewhere.

Yamaha is one of those companies that makes total crap (entry level stuff), but their high end stuff is pretty darned good. And I have/and have had some pretty nice players before. JM2CW.

Most of the "boutique" or smaller brands I have tried all have their little idiosyncracies or down-right design flaws. And that includes Esoteric, Classe, Rega, AMR (I didn’t own that one, but a friend lent it to me to try out), etc...Good players? Sure, when they feel like working. ;)

I got fed up (read: pissed off ) recently with a very expensive player and checked out the Yamaha one I was talking about earlier. Pleasantly surprised with the build quality and the sound quality (I think it’s around 35 lbs). NOT JUNK. If it was, I would say so. Is it perfect? No....I wouldn’t say that either, but it’s not crap, for sure. :) Good luck.

@swvaaudiofan 

Some options in your price range. 

Nuprime CDT-10/Nuprime CDT Pro 8/SimAudio 260-CD (Transport only version)./Pro-Ject CD Box DS2. These models  range from 900.00 to 1700.00.

Charles 

Thanks for the suggestions. We have a winner. I will order the Nu Prime CDT9 with that LPS- 212 this weekend (4/17/22).

Now I get to find an interconnect between the Nu Prime and a Doge 7 Mk2 DAC (RCA version). So XLR or SPDIF cable needed. One possibility is the KLEI Qflow3 but I am not sure about spending another $479 for the darn interconnect...