At33ptg II perfect straight out the box

Wow.
After my experience with the Goldring 1042 and its massive break in period and awful initial tonality I was thinking I was in for another slog of a break in period.
Well the At33ptg II sounds as good if not considerably better from the first minute than the fully broken in 1042.

Just thought I'd share the love.
Such a relaxed but thorough cartridge.
Nothing is missed and nothing is overdone.
Very pleased so far and it has only been 20 minutes.

Only using a project mm/mc little box n all. Not sure what the model is because when I search its name about five come up but it all sounds swell. 

Anyway can't wait to listen to all my records over and over.

The sound is crystal clear with no harshness at all and every instrument is exactly as it should be and there is plenty of sound stage for it all to sit in.

I understand what they mean about forgetting about the cartridge and just enjoying the music now.

Such a relief to not have to worry about what I need anymore!

On a side note. It is a much bigger improvement than 'upgrading' your amp. Though I really feel I couldn't get anything that would beat my JVC relic that is under £1k I have tried all the best reviewed under that. Note I listen at probably about talking volume I don't blast it.

The cart I had before by 1042 was a Lyra Helikon, with my pre amp I think it was coloured though and could sound just a touch on the cold side, very very scooped mids as well with my set up. The At33 is spot on. It seems warmer than the 1042 but I think it is really just because the 1042 could have a bit of a grating upper mids that would override the warmth of it.

My speakers are lowly wharfedale 10.1's which on comparison to my last speakers (q acoustics 2010i) are much better. Much flatter and wider response and they do take a lot to sound harsh in the treble, which I am very sensitive to.
Future upgrade will be speakers if I ever feel the need. Maybe Quad s2's. Their response looks a lot like the 10.1's but better. 

nedhogan

Listening to a fresh AT33PTG/II running into a Sutherland Loco right now. Works very well as a 10 Ohm impedance cartridge with plenty of gain and drive. With a new out of the box setup, I‘ve got a Jelco TK850S headshell that’s fairly parallel and tracking at 1.95 grams producing stellar results, price be damned. Overall the sound is very neutral. The apparent speed provides resolution while the full, slightly damped sounding low end helps to dispel any dryness to the overall sound. The only criticism is that leading edges of bass notes, say under 500hz or so, are not as articulate as the big boy cartridges. Maybe this will improve with mileage. Fantastic AT build quality. Easy to recommend.

Sandthemail, Do you own a linestage?  Does it add gain?  What is the input sensitivity of your amplifiers (the amount of signal voltage needed to drive them to full output)?  All these factors and others, like the sensitivity of your spkrs, contribute to the gain characteristics of your particular system.  60db phono gain plus the gain afforded by your linestage, if any, might well add up to about 70db or even more gain.  Also, there is no such thing as too much gain, if you have an attenuator, although purists like to use as little gain as needed.

@sandthemall , as it has been thankfully stated elsewhere:

“. . . your direct experience counts of course.”

👍

@Lewm,

Yes, it seems I have missed a few details. I certainly don't know if my linestage adds gain.

I have a Don Sachs preamp going into a Primaluna Evo 400 power amp driving 93db Tannoy Turnberry GRs.