Roon/Bluesound Node - adding new DAC (non Roon-Ready)

Hi guys, 

I'm currently at the start of the 14 day trial of Roon; Roon is running on my PC in a wired network, using my Node as endpoint, with the remote app on my android tablet. 

All good at the moment, I'm enjoying using it, but in the next couple of days I'll be taking delivery of a new DAC;  it isnt a mainstream DAC, it's a built to order unit from a tiny, 2 man company here in the UK. I don't think they even ship their units outside of the UK, so I doubt they Roon-Ready.

I will be slotting in  the new DAC via SPDIF/Coax to my Node; my question is, how will the new DAC fit in to the processing stream if not recognised by Roon?

I'm obviously new to Roon so please forgive my ignorance. I've tried looking online, but I'm still not clear how the system will work after adding the new DAC, or if it will work at all? 

For reference, the DAC is from a company called NJC Audio, and is the NJC Reference DAC. It has no software/drivers, and is plug and play. 

Thanks for reading

128x128painter24

Is the DAC in the Node doing the DA conversion, or is my PC/Roon doing the conversion, and the Node acting purely as the analogue out? 

Your PC/Roon Core does not do DA conversion.  It sends a digital signal out over your home network (which cannot handle analog signals). The Node has its own DAC chip; it can output either digital or analog signals to downstream devices. Presumably, you want your new DAC to do the DA conversion.  So, you want  the Node to feed the DAC with a digital signal via S/PDIF (toslink/optical) or via USB (if your Node is the latest version and your DAC has a USB-B input). Your new DAC converts that digital signal to analog, then passes the output downstream (to your preamp or integrated amp).  You also can connect the Node directly to a preamp or integrated amp (or powered speakers) via an analog RCA cable connection. 

The DSP options within Roon Core have nothing directly to do with D to A conversion.  They perform functions such as upsampling or parametric equalization. The output is still a digital signal (unless the Roon Core happens to be running on some device that has its own DAC and analog output).

I don’t have Roon yet, but I thought Roon endpoint was all you had to worry about. My Hegel H390 should be Roon ready soon and then I’ll be more in the know.

All the best.

JD

If you have the Node why buy Roon? 

If you don't like the Node DAC,  use an external DAC. 

@tk21 thanks for clarifying the conversion aspect; that's exactly what I wanted to know👍😊

@vanson1 i haven't bought it, I'm using the trial to see if it will benefit me in any way. If not, I'll leave it at that.

Regarding a DAC, as per my OP, I'm waiting for it to be shipped.