Call All ELO Lovers

Have you tried the new ELO Eldorado  vinyl from MoFi?  I’m hearing a lot of poorly defined bass, lots of “boom.”   I believe I’m disappointed!   What are you hearing?

stickman451

I just finished listening to my MoFi Eldorado LP that arrived today. ELO never pretended or intended to present a "lifelike sound". That simply was not their goal. Jeff Lynne had a singular vision of the overall sound presentation he was going for. I've always been a big fan but, of course, that approach may not be for everyone.

I rarely part with $60 for one vinyl platter.  For me the increased clarity of the entire presentation and the noticeably improved presence of the drum kit added an extra sense of drive to the recording. The "Super Vinyl" is quite super as there is nary even the slightest tick from stem to stern.  All in all it is worth every buck to me!

PS A guilty pleasure...After showing my 5 year old granddaughter the original Julie Andrews "The Sound of Music" movie, she became enamored of it to the point that I bought the LP of the movie soundtrack.  It is FABULOUS!  One of the quietest pieces of vinyl ever and...it sounds like it was recorded yesterday.  Even better, the soundstage places each person in the position they were on the screen as that song was sung.  My granddaughter now knows every lyric by heart! 

Post removed 

I agree with @hifiman5 

Eldorado has always been one of my favorite records and I preordered the MFSL version as soon as they advertised the release last year as my original copy had seen better days.

I always enjoyed the music and production on my original UA copy and regardless of any shortcomings mentioned I never thought of it as subpar and never allowed it to take away from my enjoyment of the music. 

The new MFSL release is dead quiet and sounds great to me and I am completely satisfied with the production. To me it sounds like ELO is supposed to sound and most likely how Jeff Lynne wanted ELO to sound on one of the great progressive records of the 70's.

@stickman451

I followed up after my post last night and compared the MoFi release to my original early United Artists release as I hadn’t done that when I received my MoFi copy. I stopped doing that awhile back as I have a number of times been disappointed that the original pressing sounded better than the remaster. That wasn’t the case with Eldorado but I will say in response to your question that they definitely did turn up the bass somewhat from the original pressing. I will concur with an earlier post that the sound of the bass was most likely from the original mastering and carried forward from the original tapes. I don’t hear it to the point of being boomy on my system and it doesn’t reduce my experience but it is definately more noticeable.

I will also say that I have noticed the bass more prominent on a number of the remasters I have received over the past few years compared to my original pressings. An example of increased bass is a MoFi 45 rpm copy of Dire Straits first album that I have and when compared to my original WB copy I prefer the bass on the original pressing but I wouldn’t say the MoFi version doesn’t sound great. I have always thought that Dire Straits albums were some of the best sounding albums out there. To me I thought they added too much bass to the remaster. I would assume that a number of people want to hear more bass but I prefer a more balanced recording.

When something is already perfect why do they want to change it?