Tron Atlantic dac disrupts both Audiophile and The Audiophile’s Wife.

We had the opportunity to listen to the Tron Atlantic dac in our home last week. I currently own a Mojo Audio Evo dac upgraded to what was esentially the Pro level. In 2021 it retailed for $12,000. We love the Mojo dac as it simply sounds so beautiful and un-digital if you will.

The Tron Atlantic is really not very well known and rarely gets any mention on the audio forums. This is the main reason I wanted to post on the Tron. If you are looking for a DAC that delivers “end game” sonics, then this dac should be on your list. They sell for $11-$17,000 depending on the version. We listened to the top GT model.

We have heard some fantastic dacs in our home selling for $5500-$14,000 and the Tron just moved us more. Let me say this fellow Agoners and I say this after some considerable thought. This single piece of audio gear elevated the realism and emotional beauty of music to a higher level than any other “rectangular box” we have placed in our system. It connected us to our music in a new and special way.

The inner detail and nuance of this dac is quite extraordinary. I really don’t want to use audiophile terms to communicate what the “sound” is like. They just don’t get at the truth of the experience well or completely enough. My wife was moved to tears listening to Heldinnenleben play Por Una Cabeza on their Die Kolophonistinnen recording. I have not seen music influence her like this before. A first. No matter what we played, the music moved and engaged us more deeply.

This dac is priced beyond what many of us can or will spend. This includes myself at this particular point in time. However, for those of you with the budget and in the market for a truly special dac, you are now aware of this wonderful music maker. I was also auditioning another dac priced within my budget that my dealer suggested vs. the Mojo. In the end, I felt that dac was simply a lateral move vs. my Mojo Dac. I was not expecting the Tron Atlantic to disrupt our home music experience so overwhelmingly. I really thought no dac could do that vs. my throughly enjoyable Mojo. Oh well, I was wrong.

I cannot tell you how this dac stacks up against the more known audiophile brands selling for $20,000-$30,000. Brands like MSB, Lampizator etc…I just don’t have that level of first hand experience. I do know the builder set out to make this dac for himself only. Why? Because he had yet to hear any dac that moved him like SOTA analog.

Here is a link to the Tron website: https://tron-electric.co.uk/

Here is a link to the Tron dealer I know (Colin): https://gestalt.audio/

128x128grannyring

The “more affordable”  Deluxe is priced more to my budget.  I did not hear it and wonder just how much of the greatness I experienced with the top model comes through? I would have to compare the two in my system to really know. That will likely never happen ☹️  

I am only familiar with Tron's tube linestage and phono stage.  I like what I heard with these components.  That someone making tube gear would make a pure solid state DAC is not that surprising given that the only part of a DAC that can be done with tubes is an analogue gain stage.  If their DAC fits the type of sound and sensibilities of their tube gear, I bet it is a winner.

Hi Bill,

Yes I ventured to the Tron Audio website after reading your listening impression comments yesterday. But the information was vague. Having heard their amplifiers and line stage I have no doubt that the DAC sounds as you attest to. I was hoping to learn more about what parts/design changes that seperate the Deluxe-Reference-Signature models.

Power supply and analog output stage make much more of a difference in sound quality than is often appreciated. So I’m not at all surprised that is where Graham T. wisely focused his attention  for improvement and upgrading. I wonder what I/V conversation approach he chose. It requires an excellent ear to do what he is able to accomplish.

Charles

That someone making tube gear would make a pure solid state DAC is not that surprising given that the only part of a DAC that can be done with tubes is an analogue gain stage

There is a small manufacturer actually using tubes in the Digital to analog conversion, 8 dual triodes.

nice info Bill. We have older Tron preamp and phono stage in our listening room. Nice sounding stuff. Have not heard their DAC products though. The DACs we manufacturer offer all point to point wiring, 101D Direct Heated Triode tube design and we also offer a 6SN7 tube design in one DAC model, R2R, copper plates, V-Caps, Audio Note, custom chokes and transformers, etc.

Happy Listening.