Touch up paint for Preamplifier ?

Does anybody have a suggestion for a paint color (and source) that comes close to the color of the stock metal that almost every black Amplifier and Preamplifier case is made out of in the 1908s-today ?

I’m looking at creating a custom stainless steel "open cover" for my tube preamp that will provide more ventilation and would like to paint it in a color that would closely match the rest of the OEM case.

Unfortunately, I can’t really make the open cover out of the stock metal used in most preamp/amp cases so it is going to have to be painted to match.

I’m hoping that some company makes a paint that would be used to cosmetically touch up preamp/amps that have been scratched or damaged.... but so far I’ve struck out in finding something like that.

It happens to be a BAT preamp, but the same metal used in the BAT preamp case appears to be very similar to metal used Mcintosh, Denon, Marantz, Yahama, and almost every other brand.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated !

stillsurfin

I actually recently searched around because I had some silver trim pieces that I wanted to paint black. The solution was on an Emotiva forum and it is pretty easy to do.

The paint can be gotten from Home Depot. I first used the Rust-Oleum "Self Etching Primer" spray. It is a gray/green type of color and it’s a primer only. Do a couple of light coats.

Once the primer is dry (maybe a day later), you have a couple different options:

- Rust-Oleum Automotive Enamel in "GLOSS" black. Also spray can from Home Depot. It is a glossy shiny type of finish. This ended up being too shiny and didn’t match the flat black of my current amps.  But it definitely looked great and the shine really stood out.

- Rust-Oleum MATTE Finish "Custom Shop" spray in Matte Black color. This matched the standard flat black of my amps pretty darn good.

If you want a unique black color, my only recommendation would be to use spray for any paint. Using paint that you have to brush on always results is a horrible bumpy yucky finish. Using spray paint is really the only way to get a uniform smooth coat/finish. There is a huge amount of spray paint colors/finishes available from auto paint companies. I would just recommend doing an "etching primer" coat first.

Thanks guys !

I think I'm going to try the Rust-Oleum products (Self etching primer & custom shop matte black) suggestion on a couple of test pieces.

It looks like the easiest process and definitely worth a try before getting into something more complex.

Thanks again for all the suggestions !!!

This is what the self-etching primer looks like:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-12-oz-Self-Etching-Dark-Green-Primer-Spray-249322/202097278

Here is the matte black:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-12-oz-Black-Matte-Finish-Spray-Paint-263422/203815179

When you spray, do quick light coats.  You can even do 3-4 coats.  Wait 5-10 minutes before each coat to allow for initial drying.  If you spray too heavy of a coat, it will bubble and pit and you will not have a smooth finish.

If you have to paint top and bottom sides of a piece, wait 24 hours before turning and doing your multiple-coats on the bottom side.