My "audiophile" weakness(es)...ie: how the item looks, and you?.

It's all about the sound.....right?  Well, with me mostly and most always.....however I am influenced by the cosmetics of audio gear.

The Maggie 20 are impressive, as are many Martin Logan's, and tubes....the glowing of tubes does have impact beyond the glow and heat.  Still love the "looks" of my original CJ ART preamp. 

As I look at the cosmetics/looks of audio gear I do give myself much slack...I know in sports cars, furniture, art and many other things how something looks does impact my thoughts......perhaps that explains some of the very pretty women I was with that were not actually very good people.....but they did look nice.  As a p.s. the best sports cars I ever drove were not very "pretty" as they were race cars...and the "pretty" street ones were much better looking but not nearly as fast/fun to drive as those race cars. 

Have you been influenced by how audio items look?  If you have, what are some of your favorites in the "looks" department?  Thanks for your thoughts/experiences. 

whatjd
...I am not sure which was more stupid on my part, selling my CJ ART, or not buying the 246 GT Dino for 14K when I had the chance in the early eighties.  

This is an extremely non-politically correct joke:  

Do you know the difference between owning a Ferrari and being with a pretty woman?......in the long run, the Ferrari is cheaper and more reliable. 

Whatjd there is no reason to apologize for loving beautiful things.  We all do it.  I still get weak in the knees when I look at a Hovland Preamp (and I,m not a tube guy).  Aesthetics do matter as much as we'd like not to admit it.

I'm having a Toolshed Amps 300b built right now.   I will admit that a few years ago when I saw Matt's designs I though they looked really cool.  Then after talking to him I realized that his amps were special , not just because they are completely handmade but also because the part spec is high.    And you can custom spec a lot of what goes in it like I did .

I basically wanted a really unique,  heirloom quality,  great sounding amp that no one else has.   Hopefully that's what I'll be getting very soon.

Don't get me wrong, sound is paramount.    My Zesto Leto isn't just another pretty face, it is a seriously good kick ass pre.    Total impulse buy, it's looks had nothing to do with buying it.   Turned out to be a killer piece.