Streamer vs renderer vs music server...help

I have been reading a lot of the forum posts to try understand my best path forward for my digital frontend.  Within the posts on streaming all these terms seem to come up with recommended brands but I am now somewhat confused as to what I need to get the best source sound quality to my DAC.  I don't know if I need a streamer, a dedicated music server, a renderer, a bridge, a roon endpoint, a combination of, or something else.  Looking for some education so I can then zero in on some options.  

I mostly stream tidal so I don't necessarily need to pay extra for CD ripping or file storage capabilities, however I won't discount these options if they come with the component that has great sound quality. Basically, how best do I get the Tidal stream to my DAC, preferably using Roon as the controller (open to other options if SQ is improved with different components).

I have a Leben CS600x, Devore 0/96s, and currently an Auralic Vega G2 but I am looking to change to the Holo Audio May KTE or a TotalDac.  The Vega has the built in streamer and lighting controller but I also use the Vega as a Roon endpoint with the Roon controller (I think that's how it works?)  The Roon core is currently on my iMAC.

Sorry for starting another post!  I tried to piece it together from other posts but there were too many types of components mentioned in the chain before the DAC that I didn't fully understand.

crandell25

@crandell25 

as you own a Vega G2, I’m going to suggest you consider trying Auralic’s Aries G2.1 streamer.  I have a different view than Carlsbad - The streamer or source is at least as important as the DAC in my experience.  I know of several who post regularly on these forums who feel the same.

The Auralic Aries pairs particularly well (as a design goal) with the Vega if you connect them via Auralic’s lighting link (LL) which allows the units to speak to each other and share processing resources.  LL is a significantly better digital connection than the other options on your Vega. I tried them all.  And, LL is a particularly significant improvement if you upgrade from the supplied stock LL cable.

I’d put it this way:

Vega G2 as a DAC = quite good

Aries G2.1 as a streamer = quite good 

Vega + Aries connected via LL = very good

I directly compared my front end to multiple other options, including two of which are about $35k (either of which I was prepared to purchase).  We’re those options better?  Perhaps, but the differences were less than I was expecting and not nearly enough to justify the additional expense. 

I will also suggest that you are throttling your Vega if you’re using it as a Roon endpoint.  It is very easy to hear the improvement when streaming using Auralic’s Lightning DS controller.  Just try playing your favorite file over your Vega using Roon. Then play the same file via LDS. For me, it was quite a difference.It may be that they’ve addressed this with a software update since I did my comparison, but it’s pretty common held view that Roon - which has to work across so many devices - may not be the best for sound quality. 

Further, since you’re interested in sound quality, try Qobuz vs Tidal which I found to be the better of the two.  Lastly, I will note that I recently purchased the Auralic Sirius outboard processor (again connected via LL so that they communicate and share resources.) Since you already own some Auralic gear, consider that they have provided an upgrade path which is compelling where the sum appears to be greater than the parts. 

Of course, YMMV, but hope this helps as you consider your next options. 

Best,

@mgrif104 Thanks for sharing your experience with the Auralic products and the increased benefits of combining their DAC and streamer offerings. I have thought about adding the streamer to my current setup but I have this itch to try an R2R Dac that won’t seem to go away! That said, you have peaked my interest again to check with my dealer to see if he has the Aries G2.1 in so I can try it in my system.

I do agree that the Lightning DS does sound better than Roon. I do use both but lean to the Roon user experience more. I would love to try Qobuz but it is still not available in Canada to my knowledge. Hopefully, that will change.

I appreciate the feedback!

@mgrif104 Thanks for politely posting the other side of the argument.  One can often get flamed around here.  --Jerry

@crandell25 

I mostly stream tidal so I don't necessarily need to pay extra for CD ripping or file storage capabilities

Thus no need for a server. The addition of a server will have no positive effect on sound quality. Swapping THIS server for THAT server might. 

@carlsbad 

Here is something that many won't agree with.  But digital is a bunch of 1's and 0s.  There is no real sound quality to be gained with digital beyond making sure you don't drop any bits and you don't have speed and timing issues.  (Flame suit on).

This fallacy has been factually debunked longtime ago. If you choose to believe it, this is fine and will save you money but just repeating it is not going to make it true. There is also a lot hiding behind that sentence: “…beyond making sure you don’t drop any bits and you don’t have speed and timing issues”.  Sounds like if one hears any difference then there must have been some timing issues or bits dropping. So you are always right.  It’s like saying you are alive unless you are dead.