recommended oil for well tempered spindle cup

have classic well tempered TT and arm from the 90's, upgraded to black arm and platter.
can someone give some insight for the contradiction i read in several forums:

"The type of oil can be specific to a turntable design, but in general, motor oil is not a good choice.

Motor oil is usually multigrade and contains all sorts of additives. This bad. Light multi=purpose or sewing machine oil is a bit to thin. I use a monograde oil sold for air compressors at about SAE 20 or 30. Quite cheap. Synthetic is better than mineral oil if you can find some. I am just using mineral oil as sold at Tradetools for about $10 a litre bottle."

on the other hand:
“...any synthetic motor oil of any brand within a viscosity range of 5W-50 is acceptable.”
and this:
"For the spindle, he said Mr. Firebaugh, the designer, has updated the fluid to be synthetic motor oil, 5w20 or 5w30, whichever is cheaper. he said viscosity is not that important."

stone1

I am sure your direct experience is more cogent than my guesswork, but one might think that with a stretchy belt, higher viscosity would engender more belt stretching which might lead to more speed irregularity.  Just thinking out loud. Anyway, my bottom line contention is it doesn't make much difference what lubricant you use.  If I recall my friend's WTRP, the "bearing" actually consisted of some white protrusions in the well, maybe one or two rounded hemispherical white plastic mounds, which contacted the spindle when the belt pulled the platter toward the motor.  Very unconventional to begin with.

April Fools!

All of you.

I use Virgin Olive Oil. Just a drop so there is only a thin film of lubricant, more than a drop creates resistance. I also have taken the cup and the spindle to a triboligist and had a molybdenum coating treatment so that the rod end bearing can be run dry when at my home in the high desert in Oregon.

On my VPI Scout I'm using 40-weight motor oil and  .25 teaspoon of white lithium grease as recommend on the bearing.

"There is just no need for two weights"
what do you mean by "two weights" ? - lewm.
did not find any correlation between the oil type and belt strech or speed.
i am using now a thicker belt than the original, which made the speed more stable.  

My Linn Sondek LP12 bearing housing is partially filled with 0W20 full synthetic .

The spindle platter assembly is  engaged into the housing ,displacing some of the oil-To avoid a mess wrap some tissues around the housing.

This procedure guarantees oil in the microscopic annulus , between the bearing housing and the spindle.