Power Cables and Wall Sockets

Without knowing for certain, it seems to me that power cables can only be as good as the in-home wiring coming to the wall socket. Is it possible that those who use expensive cables have improved the wiring to the socket? Or is the power from most wall sockets normally excellent, but is limited by conventional power cables?

128x128imaninatural

Well first off were I love by electrical code a 15 amp circuit has to have a 14 gauge wire no more no less. You cannot by code have heavier wire on a 15 amp circuit. A 20 amp circuit requires a 12 gauge wire no more no less. 

Also the Hubbell plugs are ok but even though it is pricey the top of the line furutech plugs are stunning in the improvement that happens with them. I personally have never found a power conditioner that I like. All of them do something's better and a few or more things wrong. The furutech receptacles just make improvements nothing go worse only better. I personally believe that power conditioner s are a bandaid Tring to cover up aore.basic problem. I have seven dedicated 20 amp circuits going into my listening room. All are on one leg of the fuse box. (220 comes into your home and there are two legs to it when you have a 220 plug the double breaker feeds half from each leg that's how you get 220) it you have more than one circuit in your room if they are on difference legs the potential to ground is different and likely sounds bad compared to having them both on one leg. The wire in the wall is all the exact same length as well and is crossed over each other not run parallel the whole way.  The furutech receptacles made a huge difference over the industrial plugs I started with. The bass appeared in my system and a huge increase in resolution. That continued with adding furutech top of the line plugs and IEC ends to the transparent power cords I have. The levinson monoblocks have a non replaceable power cord or fixed to the amps. Changing the plug on the end of those cords was a major improvement even though the amps have power regeneration internally. A big difference,personally  I find it hard to believe the increase I have had in resolution from addressing the power side of things. Lol I thought I was near the top before I did a bunch of changes.as an example I have played my system for a few non audiophile friends and they start to cry when listening to it. Remember that everything changes the sound some for the better some for the worse. You have to be able to listen and be able to write off the expense when something you buy doesn't sound right. At the moment I have a couple sets of the feet of silence that are sitting in a drawer. I spent a bunch on them and I didn't like the results. So they are not in the system to show and expenses tweak I have. I will try them as things change there maybe a place for them in the future but so fare i don't like them in either system. When I bought the plug and IEC ends for my HiFi cords I wondered if I should put the money towards a better power cord as the two plugs for each cord were eight hundred dollars per cord and the transparent cords were 550 each back in the day. I had a visit with Cris Johnson the fellow I purchased them from who also carries way higher priced cords that he could have bought told me he thought I would get years of enjoyment out of what I had with the better plugs on them. Chris was the owner designer of Sonic frontier equipment still the owner of parts connection. I tried one cord at a time it was a great time as each one made a big improvement and I was sure before I bought another one that it was truly an improvement. He also knows that if he recommended a high line power cord that I am am fortunate enough that I can purchase them. I also knew when I bought them if I didn't like them they would be a hard sell to even get half my money back. Very much like my opinion on the feet of silence. I think getting most of my money back is really unlikely. So go slow and in steps to get to where you want to be. Starting at the source is the place and in this case I mean your breaker box. Have fun  Regards

I guess I was lucky in that my whole house was wired with 20 amp circuits. We bought the house in 2016 and it had ben built in 2008. The original owner was a computer guru and had the circuits all 20 amp.

There are actually very many systems and listeners that can identify the difference power cords make. …

The case of the dimming lights that prompted this particular thread exemplifies this perfectly.

The later is provable with a light meter, or other methods to show the lightning flickering. A lighting company could produce a graph of lumins versus time and produce a “strobe metric”.

The former case is a more of testamony like the Thomas (or what it another fellow on the road?.) The cable makers could show something happening with out just resorting to talk about the quantum world.

So it is not exemplified perfectly.

• There is no proof in here that a cord would help the lights
  • And, in fact, the fellow/lady does not mention the sound changing, only the lights flickering. So he/she/they are either suffering visual hallucinations, or the sound is not very affected by the voltage.
    • I suspect the later is the case.

That is highly unlikely. That’s because determining the proper wire gauge for a circuit includes considering more than just the amperage. Under the NEC, which sets the minimum requirements for electrical installs, you also have to calculate the length of the run and whether the cable is enclosed in conduit. I’m not calling you a liar, @retiredfarmer - you probably were just given bad info. It's just a simple fact that  using a 14 ga. wire on a 15A line is not by itself a guarantee of safety. Consider that the purpose of the breaker is to protect the wire in the wall.

@yoyoyaya @rbertalotto I can understand that the effect of upgrading power to improve sound has been a point of debate; however, there are some good recommended changes that I can make without spending a bundle (like better outlets).

If I have the experience of believing that it improves the sound, then I'll consider further upgrades. I'm not really skeptical about the improvements that good power can make empirically, but I also know that I hear with more than my ears.

The visual landscape makes a big difference in my enjoyment of the sound and my satisfaction of solid power could add another facet to my enjoyment. I don't have super high expectations, but would be delighted to be able to hear an improvement in soundstage, clarity and instrument separation. And that would actually be awesome!

First I'll upgrade my 40 year old electrical outlets, then go from there.