Power Cables and Wall Sockets

Without knowing for certain, it seems to me that power cables can only be as good as the in-home wiring coming to the wall socket. Is it possible that those who use expensive cables have improved the wiring to the socket? Or is the power from most wall sockets normally excellent, but is limited by conventional power cables?

128x128imaninatural

It would make a lot of sense for someone to start investing in a dedicated power line before even considering expensive power cords. Vince Galbo of MSB Technology has it right:

I agree!

...FWIW I will also correct @carlsbad on the size wire in the wall going to the outlet. It is 12 ga rather than 14. I’ve seen 14 used for light switches but not outlets...

That’s not true everywhere, there are tons of homes out there wired to code minimum with 14 wire on 15amp breakers for the basic outlets, less the fridge, microwave, etc. The spec home industry doesn’t spend an extra nickel that isn’t required.

@builder3 rereading your post I'm not sure we disagree.  All the homes I've seen in CA have 14 gauge wire for 15 amp outlets.  I just installed a new circuit for my stereo using 10 awg. The old one was 14 ga/15a.  I've never come across a 12 gauge wire for 15 amp service but you can do it.  In my home, all the 12 gauge circuits have a 20 amp breaker.  I know because I replaced my breaker panel and breakers.  --Jerry

Sadly a $5K power cord can make an astonishing improvement. A couple of direct lines can make a real improvement. As someone mentioned… it is additive. Each step need justify its cost in sound quality improvement.

I think most people start by upgrading power cords first. Even if you have previous experience with power cords, I think there is a natural desire to reinforce / rediscover why they are worth it. Once you realize / remember how big a difference they make… it is easier to do something that cannot be returned and stays with the house. I recently got equipment that used 20 amp plugs on the component side… so I had to buy all new ones… oh, Yeah, they can make a big difference. I am still experimenting with my amp power cord.

Direct lines make a big difference… standard gauge or better. Two lines are preferred… a 10 gauge (or go wild) for the amp, the other for the rest of the components. By the way even with a direct line… my system sounds better with my power conditioner than without.