Comparing systems through phone recordings

Dear Audiogon friends,

Consider how convenient it would be, if we could exchange sound clips, recordings of how our systems sound in our room, on the web. At Audiogon I get audio friends and contacts whose systems I would love to hear, but they live miles away, or even halfway around the world. The chance that I can come and listen to their system "live" in their listening room is close to zero. So what about, exchanging recordings, instead?

Ten or five years ago, I would have said, forget it, it cannot be done.The drawbacks were too large. Now? I am no longer so sure. Mobile phone technology has advanced. True, I maybe cannot hear the finer nuances of a stereo setup and how it interacts with the room, in a "lowly" mobile phone recording, but I can hear some main characteristics. For example, how my speakers sound compared to my friend’s speakers.

I have tested this concept a bit with other A-goners, using their mobiles to record the same track, playing in their room, recording from their listening position. The results are interesting. They do show differences, even with the limited recording capability, poor mic's, lowgrade file formats, etc.

Anyone else who has tried this?

Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
Post removed 
around the world. The chance that I can come and listen to their system "live" in their listening room is close to zer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Folks here believe I can not detect at least some semblance of how a  speaker sounds via YT upload.s
Sure its only a  bare idea of how a particular speaker sounds,, but its  enough for me to detect if I will like it or not.
Which is why I record my vids now witha   close up on the speaker,, this way folks can hear it at close range and make a  better guess.

I can actually hear how a  speaker sounds via YT uploda.s
But you have to pay very close attention.
Folks here think it can 't be done. 
Its impossible
If Enrico Caruso sang in your  shower door closed,,and sang ina  Rome opera house,,I'm quite sure you'd recognize his voice as same tenor

Does not always work, as I was very impressed with Voxativ on YT so, ordereda   pair,,, sold them off cheap same day. 
Does not always work.
Not sure what went wrong on the Vox mistake, Sure sounded fantastic in the Vid,. Of course it was another model in the YT vid vs the one I purchased.

Anyway, how my wide bands sound in my YT vids, sound near exact as in my listening room. 
If you don't like the way my wide band sounds in my YT vids, then don't buy the speaker. As you will make a  mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2XeDQ7S4dM

I agree with mozartfan. The challenge is, we cannot directly hear each others systems, around the world. As consumers and audiophiles, we would be much better off it we could do this - instead of relying on second-hand writing and opinion-making. So, to dismiss this challenge as stupid or undoable, is wrong, in my humble opinion. The question, rather, is how to do it. How to reduce the problem factors. First, we would need a decent level of recording, doable for many Audiogon members. I've bought a Zoom H6 that does the job, with a decent mic. Maybe a good mobile phone recorder and in-built mic can work also. Second, there is the playback of this recording, but a fairly good stereo setup should do. Maybe, the main obstacle is in the listening - what exactly is it, you hear. Since there are more potential errors, more "gremlins" than if you were listening in your friend's room, directly. But there are ways to improve this (test with some friends, direct vs through a recorded file). Like the Norwegian rock musician Anne Grethe Preuss said, "sometimes, one millimeter is enough".

Why even consider expensive, high quality gear if a phone can deliver at least as much?  Do you really believe a phone can record and deliver a signal that allows one to discern subtle differences that are the product of very expensive engineering and build?  Why would a recording studio bother with $20,000 microphones if the ones in a phone can deliver enough quality that one can hear what that microphone brings to the recording?  

I expect there to be obvious differences that one can hear even with a phone recording, but, there is no way to tell if those differences are the product of what particular gear are doing and not just differences in the recording process.  In other words, the comparison would be worse than useless because it would most likely lead to false impressions.

I am not saying it can be done. I am suggesting a method, to test it. To get a little better at it. What is the problem with that?