What is the best system one can make under $5000

Hi,
I am new to speakers in general and have a couple of decent headphones. What is the best system one can hope to create with a budget of $5000. It is ok to include second-hand components as well. It should allow a turntable and at least one optical input and headphone output.

The listening area is 13ft X 20ft.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

neo_the_one
You could get Eminent Technology LFT-8 planar mag speakers ($2500 new) and a NuPrim IDA 16 integrated amp/dac ($2k new).

Add a Lounge LCR phono preamp ($300 to $650 new) and your choice of turntable (I'd go vintage plus a good cartridge).

Might go a wee bit over (or a lot if you go for something like a Koetsu cart, Kuzma table, plus a Sutherland pre). Drop to the NuPrime IDA-8 for $1k if it's a firm budget, then.

http://www.eminent-tech.com/index.html?fwd=LFT8.html

http://nuprimeaudio.com/product/ida-16/?v=7516fd43adaa

http://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii

In a 13 ft. x 20 ft. room, and I would be doing music and movies in the same room. So I would be doing the following….

. Vandersteen 2Ce — $800.00 to $1,500.00 (used)

. Schiit Vidar Power Amplifier (2)* — $450.00 (used)

. Schiit Fenya + Preamplifier — $550.00 (used)

. Schiit Mani Phono Preampifier — $129.00 (new)

. Technics SL-1210 M5G Quartz-Locked Direct-Drive Turntable (Already Own)

. Pioneer Elite or Sony ES Series CD/DVD Player — TBD

. Audio Technica VM740ML or Nagaoka MP-200 Phono Cartridge — $400.00

System Total: $3030.00* — but keep in mind that in order for this system to REALLY sing in a 13 ft. x 20 ft. room, and keep the price of the system down now and provide an upgrade path later on, I would start with a single Schiit Audio Vidar Power Amplifier now, but there is room in a $5000.00 budget to add a second Schiit Vidar Power Amplifier later on down the line (even allowing for inflation later on down the line), so I would start there, then afterwards, buy either the Audio Technica or Nagaoka MP-200 Phono Cartridge, then as an option, look around for a used Pioneer Elite or Sony ES CD/DVD Player, then that would be it after that.

Interconnects and Speaker Cables are extra.

Happy Viewing and Listening.

—Charles—

OR for around the same price, I would put this setup together.

It would be for music listening only, it’s something easy and simple to put together, so you won’t have a room full of equipment that dominates your room.  And it includes an integrated amplifier and a music streamer in one (nothing extra to buy), and you’ll get a phono input, so you can still add a turntable.  So in a way, it’s like having both, your cake and eating it too.

And because the speakers selected for this system are much smaller than the speakers I selected for the previous system, if bass is wanted or needed from this system, then a subwoofer is necessary.  But that would be left up to you at this point.  The speakers I have selected for this system are the Wharfedale EVO 4.2’s

Same turntable is included in this system as well.

And this system is as follows….

“And FINALLY, a high quality and simplified (space saving) high-end audio system for my condo (SOMEDAY).

And come to think of it, I don’t even need a CD Player or a CD Collection anymore (consumes too much room space and shelf space).

NOW, all I need is THIS thing (a Marantz PM7000N Integrated Amplifier/Network Streamer).  Which means I don’t need an FM Tuner either.  A network streamer performs the same way a radio tuner performs, but is better two ways.

.  I can select, play, and listen to exactly what I want to listen to.

.  Without the DJ chatter and talk.

.  All I need is an Internet Connection.

And there’s more.

I can still listen to records too.  I do have a turntable now (a Technics SL-1210 M5G with a Nagaoka MP-200 Phono Cartridge).  All I got to do is plug it in.  Plug-N-Play (TOTALLY).

And I can even plug in my TV into this thing.

And there are no other components that I will need to buy either.

Basically, a TOTAL AND COMPLETE High Fidelity Audio System IN ONE.

All I have to do is add speakers, THAT’S IT.

And there I have it, a TOTAL AND COMPLETE home entertainment system….  FOR LESS THAN $3,000.00!!!

I think I may have to go to an audio dealer and audtion this component.  It may be the last component I’ll ever buy (speakers aside).

Pictured with what would also be my supporting pieces below.

Price:  $1,200.00.

—Charles—“

System Price:  $3,000.00 + Stands + Interconnects/Speaker Cables.

—Charles—