Current Questions

More and more, I see the word “current” in audio reviews. The reviewers warn me that I’ll “need lots of current” for a given speaker but they don’t explain exactly what it is I need or how many “lots” is. I’ve looked at a few “Electronics For Dummies”-type sites but I’m still confused. A few questions:

—What is current?

—When someone writes, “These speakers need a lot of current,” what do they mean? Is sensitivity involved? Impedance?

—On the amplifier end, what specification measures current?

—Are there subjective considerations at work in that spec? The number of watts doesn’t tell me everything about loud an amplifier sounds. Does the number of [whatever measures current] similarly leave things unexplained?

—Everyone asks, “How many watts?” No one asks, “How much current?” Is it really so important?

paul6001

Before I continue, let me say that holmz gets it, i.e. in reference to my post. No BS, no put down or what is too commonly seen on this site, so thanks for that.

I’ll work on being more “common” and lace in put downs and humiliations 😁

(On a serious note, thanks man.)

It is easy to assume that others have the equivilent of a H.S. Electronics shop class or HS physics, but it is apparent that this is not a universal truth.

On the sales side, there is push for saving parts costs and manufacturing costs. And hiding factual performance in specs that make it hard to get to what exactly a piece of gear provides.
That makes it very hard to not be sold garbage or gear that is marginally appropriate.

On the subjective side:

Speaking of twenty, that's Bryston's guarantee. They build their stuff to last, and last it does. Not a shill, just a satisfied customer

^This^ person, and others I have know, speak very highly about the Bryson gear. I do not know much about their gear, except that a lot of people that I respect (and who are use similar speakers) use Bryson.

So if one is disinclined towards understanding the inner workings, then finding what others are using successfully with similar speakers (in terms of amplifiers) is a good strategy… assuming that success often repeats itself. 

Think of it in terms of plumbing.
Water pressure is equivalent to voltage. Resistance/impedance is analogous to a valve which controls the flow. The water flow is the current. The more the water flow, the better your shower. The more current into your speaker, the better your sound.

Back in the late 70’s I read a review on a power amp made by (I forget) stating that the amp was capable of 35 amps of power per channel. This sort of talk lasted for a bit longer and constant current, power envelope, and other sorts of talk too.

It is pointed out in a previous post to sell the high points of a product within the confines of its capabilities. So, if there is a scratch on the hood, make sure and open it quickly and talk about the engine.

we start with the speaker, and determine which amplifiers will work and which will not, and then go from there.

We can talk about current in isolation, but it seems easier if we started with an example of what speakers you wanted to consider running.

Not to get too technical but in terms of current, since the speaker is a "load" can we not say that the speaker will have a certain current "draw" in order to reproduce the signal being sent? If the amp does not have the capability of providing that draw, is that what leads to the amp clipping? In other words, the question isn't so much amp output current but, as some have been saying, the amount of current draw by the speaker. One must understand that and choose an amp that will meet that requirement. I have never seen specs. for either but I have experienced it.

Not to get too technical but in terms of current, since the speaker is a "load" can we not say that the speaker will have a certain current "draw" in order to reproduce the signal being sent?

At a specific voltage and frequency, then yes. The draw is linear with voltage in the equation V=IR or I=V/R.

If the amp does not have the capability of providing that draw, is that what leads to the amp clipping?

There is clipping as in trying to reach a voltage that is too high to achieve as it is beyond the rails.

And there is inability to provide the current. When the current cannot be provided, then the desired voltage will not be achieved. This would be more of a distortion than clipping. (Almost like compression).

In other words, the question isn't so much amp output current but, as some have been saying, the amount of current draw by the speaker. One must understand that and choose an amp that will meet that requirement.

If the speakers draw less, or equal, to what the amp can provide, then all is well.

I have never seen specs. for either but I have experienced it.

The specs for impedance is common for most decent speakers, and maybe half of the speakers show it.