What about the floor?

I have a dedicated room for audio. It was not built from scratch but a room I choose to be my listening room in my home. It sounds average to good without any treatments but the house has a shag room to room carpet that I will be trashing. I will be staining a concrete floor and adding a large throw rug.

What kind of floor covering do you guys/gals have in your listening area and how does it affect your audio system's sound?

128x1282psyop

Yes, it affects your sound, but aesthetics and room balance matter.  What I mean is, shag rugs are nasty, so I totally understand getting rid of them, overall balance of the room can be affected by adding treatment elsewhere.  For instance, would you add ceiling panels between you and your speakers?  Do you need bass traps?  Do you have enough diffusion?

Assuming the floor exchange was bad for the room, you can make up for it.

I have a wood floor in my listening room. I got a 4 X 6 oriental carpet and put a non-slip pad underneath. It is a lot easier to change your mind when you have a bare floor to start with. 

I also have wood floor with a large antique Oriental carpet on it. A smidge of damping but not too much.

Suggest that you set up the room with no covering, nd then see if you have significant slap echo (clapping hands in an empty room usually produces quite a bit). Then lay a carpet down and try again. It should prevent or reduce the echo without too much damping.