Luxman D-10X Follow up

Over a year ago I sought advice here about CD players.  I ordered a Luxman D-10X as a result of the conversations.  It took a year to arrive.  Chips.  Slow ocean transport.  The world today.  Anyway, as promised I am reporting back.  It required a long break in.  At first it sounded a bit sharpish I think is the best way to put it.  200-300 hours later it has a very pleasant sound on all formats.  No surprise on SACD, DSD, and MQA, but the real bonus is that it really works quite well with PCM too.  That is a real plus for me because I listen mostly to jazz and a lot of the things I want are not available on vinyl, or the vinyl is old, out of print, in lousy condition, or absurdly expensive.  I am not inclined to pay several hundred dollars for an old mono Blue Note, sight unseen, coming from Japan, when the same recording can be had on a CD for just a few dollars.  With this D-10X the sound is acceptable.  So, I am happy.  It was worth the wait.  Thanks for all who offered advice.

billstevenson

billstevenson

Excellent! You are very fortunate to own a D-10x. What other gear is in your system? I am looking forward in reading more impressions and thoughts as you massage this reference player into your roon/system.

I am a big Jazz fan as well.

Happy Listening!

I, too, have this player. I did not have to wait a year. Once I decided to make the leap I found one in Arizona and had it sent to me. This was just about 2 months ago. I agree with what is said here about this player, and after the usual break in it simply plays music, on all formats. Its the first one I have that is MQA-able, so I bought a few of these discs. I replaced a Luxman D-05u with this one, and use it in a system with the Constellation Audio Integrated driving the marvelous Perlisten S7t speakers. I have a TT in the system too, but rarely use it. I am no jazz fan, its mostly rock-type of music for me, or singer/songwriter, a bunch of classic country too, and the occasional classical. But rarely, if ever, jazz. That, of course, is just a matter of taste, and that differs from person to person. Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra sound amazing here too.  Jafant knows all of this already, so this is really for the other members here who might be curious.  

System brief: The new Luxman D-10X.  Conrad Johnson ART150 amp, GAT 2 pre, and TEA 1/III phono with Conolidated Silver SUT (a couple of other SUTs).  VPI HW40 TT, SoundSmith Experion.  Technics SL1200 GAE, VAS Mono, among a half dozen other cartridges in rotation.  McIntosh MR78. Sony Z1ES.  PS Audio P20 power supply.  Sony SSAR1 speakers.(2) REL SX212 Subs.. 

Congrats billstevenson...the d-10x will only get better and better with more burn-in time!  Report back when you pass 1000 hours...if at that time you can get out of your listening chair...😁