Portable Player Recommendation

I am not sure where to post this but thought I would try here.  Currently I am using my LG phone but I am tired of all the beeps, squeaks and whatever as I try to listen, and it doesn’t really sound that great despite being on the cover of Stereophile and JVS saying it didn’t need a separate amp.  I am a starting a new job that will require some extended time away from home so I would like to get it right and I don’t want to carry a separate amp.
  I did have a Sony a few years ago that was the size of a matchbox, sounded amazing, but when the SD card filled, it was so tightly inserted that it broke during attempted removal.  To be fair the two reviews that I had read cited this as an issue.  It also didn’t stream.
  I wouldn’t mind something like that again as long as the SD card can be extracted and it it did a decent job as a streamer.  I absolutely don’t want an obtrusive interface loaded up with apps that have nothing to do with playing music.    Cans will primarily be Oppo PM3 and Meze Audio.

mahler123

Another option might be something like an Audioquest Dragonfly Red or Cobalt.  I use the Red in my headphone setup and it dramatically improves the sound out of my iPhone and iPad, so if this might work for you it’d also help you avoid carrying around another gadget.  Just another option to consider, and best of luck. 

I have a 400 dollar Sony Walkman with top Grado in ear phones.   It sounds stupendous......maybe better than my super hi end components