Wilson Alexia - speaker placement question

I'm looking at this speaker and am trying to figure out if I'll have poor bass/midrange as I can only keep the speakers 20-23 inches from the front wall.  My room is 16 w by 21 l with 9 ft ceilings.   This is a full range speaker and I'm concerned its bass capabilities may interact poorly with any room-related sound modes.  Appreciate any  comments/guidance.  

newton

I have Alexia 2s in a NYC apartment which has your exact dimensions 16x21x9.

My speakers are 19" from the front wall at the rear inside corner of the toed in cabinet. The speakers fire down the long walls to my seat. The walls are dense plaster. I could move the speakers to  within 18" for more bass reinforcement and that would work too, but once I move to 20", I lose too much bass reinforcement and gain nothing. That does not mean this positioning will work for you but it worked within an inch for my previous Sashas and WP 7s in my room. Good luck.

Your choices are pretty simple. Room treatment and EQ. I use a combination of the two. I use the EQ built into Roon for the EQ and GIK acoustics panels and traps for the room treatment.

You might also want to look at the room mode calculator, it will help you see where you may have issues and what room locations to avoid.

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc

Based on the first 4 or so room modes, I'd encourage you to start with floor to ceiling soffit traps from GIK. First the wall behind the speakers, then behind the listener.

I have a pair of Wilson Alexia’s.  My room is larger at 16’w 30’d vaulted ceilings. They are currently 3’6 from front wall and 2’ from side walls.  My room is also open in the back wall.  I have had them as close as 2’ from front wall and they imaged well with better bass.  I think you will be fine and or correct with EQ.  I’m planning on adding subs to help bring back the low end.

Everyone -  thank you so much for your comments.   I've re-measured my space and the distance from the front wall and the back of the speakers would be 18 inches.  I really don't want to use any room treatment panels, etc. nor DSP.

JJss49 - thank you for the WASP link --- very informative.

Gpgr4blu - Is there any way I could speak with you about your setup?  You have the experience of using the Wilson's in a Manhattan apartment.   

Many thanks -

Newton