Pro-Ject CD Box DS3 "Redbook" Player

Leave it to Pro-Ject to actually listen to what audiophiles are asking for. This new CDP uses the same Streams Unlimited CD-80 Blue Tiger Servo as their $3200 CDT top loader. If it gets the same improvements from reading a CD and one can live with its own internal DAC, this could be a game changer for the low, low price of about $760 (€699).  

Here's the skinny.

All the best,
Nonoise

128x128nonoise

Ah....so. The plot thickens. Pro-Ject makes no mention of it's use on their site except for the DS3. They also categorize it and the both top loaders as "high end" compared to the rest of their line. The DS3 is also said to be a new line with better build quality and CD drive suspension as well.

And yes, I was going to get the CEC TL5 but when I read of the DS3 using the Blue Tiger servo I got the notion it would be ever bit as resolving and musical as the top loader that uses the CD-84 servo. If so (and reviews will hopefully say), then saving over half of the cost of the CEC would be the clincher for me.

If not, then it's back to the CEC TL5. But I have that sneaking suspicion that with the Blue Tiger servo and new firmware to get that bit perfect 1:1 playback with a CD sled dedicated to CD only playback (and not an all purpose one), if it gets within striking distance of the CD-84 Pro, then it's the one I'll go for. 

All the best,
Nonoise

By the way, I came across this,https://www.suos-hifi.com/#

A simple scroll down to the CD- Boards section answers all my questions (chicken/egg) and shows the CD-84 to be an improvement over the CD-80. There’s also a CD-88 and CD-100.

There is no mention of what slot loader is used (the others are metal and plastic trays). Hopefully the slot drive is something new they’ve been working on or at least an improvement over what they’ve been using on the DS2 series.

All the best,
Nonoise

@nonoise

But I have that sneaking suspicion that with the Blue Tiger servo and new firmware to get that bit perfect 1:1 playback with a CD sled dedicated to CD only playback (and not an all purpose one), if it gets within striking distance of the CD-84 Pro, then it’s the one I’ll go for.

All the best,

+1 With that rationale.

Charles

Ah...just got off the phone with Pro-Ject and it looks like it was another shot in the dark as far as my hopes for something that could compete with RS2 CD Box transport. It turns out that the DS3 is just the DS2 with a different DAC and one fewer digital out (no AES).
Once the AKM factory fire happened, they had to go out and source another brand and went with TI and that's about it. Their best advice is to save up the pennies and not be in a hurry. 
Looks like I'm going back to the CEC TL5 for now, if and when Technics gets the SU-G700M2 out for sale stateside. I never liked tempests in teapots. 😄

All the best,
Nonoise

Their best advice is to save up the pennies and not be in a hurry.

@nonoise  

Honestly that is  wise advice unless you're in a relative hurry to get another transport.  I'm convinced that you'd love and appreciate the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 transport.  Latest high quality top loader CD transport mechanism.  There would be no looking back. You genuinely are a music lover and that  is who this transport is intended  for. 

Charles