Audio Note DAC 5

Just curious, are there (many) audiophiles who want to have the Audio Note DAC 5 and are willing to pay the high price for the device? New price: $50,000, used price $30,000. Another question: is it worth the price? Does the sound quality justify the price? Does it better the top Wadia or the Esoteric, which retail for less?

Chris
dazzdax
Think about it. How many people do you know who can drop 30 large (or more!!) on a DAC? 1, maybe 2? I live in a fairly well-to-do area and I don't know *anybody* who would spend that kind of money for an entire system, much less a DAC.

Is it worth the price? If you think it is, it is. However, most folks would tend to look at a price tag like that in shock and disbelief. In my mind, it's VERY hard to justify that kind of money for such a simple device. You can buy a very nice, NEW Lexus or BMW for that kind of money and they are comprised of a great deal many more parts and require more assembly time.

The law of diminishing returns has well and truly kicked in long before you get to $30k+...

-RW-
I couldn't agree more...$50 or $30K for anything other than maybe a speaker is utterly foolish if you ask me. If had tons of money to burn I still would not spend this much on a DAC. Primarily because you don't need to;there are so many good DACS out there for less money. Case closed.
IMO, you can achieve better overall performance at far less cost. This review helped me to see the light.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=digital&n=64718
I do not agree here. Have any of you guy's actually heard the DAC 5. If you had a superb set-up and the front end was the only thing left to tweak, you would no doubt look to a DAC 5, if money was no really a problem.

To illustrate my point:
I do a lot of maintenance on luxury yachts in Spain. The owners range from very rich and no time to use the boat, to pretty well of and more time, to pretty much no cash and lots of time. They all share the passion for the sport and love enjoying their boats. If you add up the time you spend 'enjoying' the music, and set that as your high points or quality time, how can you put a price on that?

Time is priceless, and unless you believe in reincarnation, this is as good as it gets. If you love music, and want the best, then don't get so negative about folk who are willing to spend this kind of money. I have a humble DAC 1.1, but that blew away everything alse I have heard at demo's up to 4 times the price. I have also heard the DAC 5 at shows, and it was the best unit every time.

Key is listen, then make your mind up....
This is going to seem impossible, but I know three people with DAC 5 signatures. It is a fantastic DAC. All three were hooked up to the 47 labs transport -- crazy, noisy, unreliable, but, I suppose, pretty good sounding -- but apparently pretty good sounding because the combination is magical -- very relaxed, organic sounding without sounding muffled of flacid or dynamically constricted.

This is the best digital I've heard, and I have heard a few of the contenders (full DCS stack, Reimyo, EML, etc.), and I own, and like, a pretty good CDP (Naim CD 555). Is the DAC 5 worth the money? I suppose, if you got that kind of discetionary cash.