Outdoor Landscape series speakers

I am interested in installing landscape speakers (satellites and buried sub(s)) in my backyard, including zones for patios, a gazebo, pool, and hot tub.  Has anyone purchased or demo'd a landscape series speaker set, and could share perspective on preferred equipment?  There seem to be a few major players (Sonance, Martin Logan, Paradigm, TIC, OSD).  I have a few questions:

1. Is it better to buy one large system or a few smaller systems (e.g., Pardigm GO4 package). 

2. When is it preferred to have 6" vs. 4" satellites?

3. What control systems are preferred (Sonos amp, Control4, Elan, etc.)?

billg06897

There are likely 4 different zones: Upper Patios, Pool, Hot tub, and Gazebo.  The upper patios can take house-mounted outdoor speakers.  The pool area is 2,600 sq. ft., the hot tub area is 200 sq. ft., and the gazebo area is 275 sq. ft.  For the gazebo, I could use regular outdoor speakers inside it.

I worked for Magnolia for a bit and am familiar with the Sonance products.  One of my neighbors spend big $$$ on another outdoor speaker system (without subs) and another bought a Sonance system from me with the subs.  The Sonance system sounded clearly superior and more enjoyable, and my other neighbor was not happy given what he spent.  The sub makes all the difference!  A little-known secret is that a few times a year Sonance runs HUGE sales where you can get like 50% off retail, and most Magnolia stores will likely share with you when the next big sale will be.  I’d absolutely do that because they’re a screaming value on sale, and they also offer a really good warranty if you ever have a problem.  FWIW, and best of luck. 

For that size pool area, you could easily install (2) of the sub/satellite systems where you would have 4 satellites and 1 subwoofer on either side of the pool area.  Depending on the layout of the other areas in relation to the pool area, you might be able to get away with just the (2) systems, or you might have to add additional satellites to cover those areas.  For the gazebo and patios, I'd go with the bracket mounted, weatherproof speakers like the LB series from Near, for example.

Depending on where you live, there might be a custom integration contractor in your area that can provide a demo of the systems they carry.  You would be looking for a smart-home integration company, like Magnolia.  They usually have a demo system they can show you.  If you have a James dealer in your area, they might have a demo landscape system they can temporarily set up in your yard to show you what they can accomplish.  Several James dealers have these in Pelican cases they just grab from their warehouse and meet you at your home for a real demonstration.  Pretty cool service.