Can the top end of a PrimaLuna Evo integrated be tamed w/tube rolling?

This weekend I have a PrimaLuna Evo 3 as a house guest to compare with my Supernait 3 solid state integrated. Both are about the same price, basically tube vs solid state. I am a big fan of the Naim PRaT but I also find the depth and transparency of tubes very engaging. The Evo integrated on its own lacks the rhythm and pace of the Naim but it does have transparency and imaging in spades.

So the idea is maybe run an Evo 3 preamp instead along with a Naim 250 (or just use the amp section of the Supernait).

But one problem I cannot get over is that there is a very fatiguing high end to the Evo 3. Cymbals, snare drums, top edge of distorted guitars, etc are pretty harsh at any volume higher than background music. To compare, my vintage Luxman valve preamp into the SN3 does not have this quality (but it lacks the refinement of the PrimaLuna).

It would be ideal to do some tube rolling to get the best of all worlds... is there a tube selection that could work with the Evo preamp that would tame the harsher high end and smooth out the sound a little bit on top? Or is this just a part of the PrimaLuna signature?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjsqt

re: "But I lose bass and details on mids and highs in this set up."

@audiophile168 how many hours on the new GL 12Au7s so far?

I stopped logging in hours at 150. I think I have 200 hours on the GL 12au7s. It is noticeably quieter than the telefunkens. Regarding your comment above, I lost the details and bass because of the speaker, not the amp. When I switched back to the Cornwall IV, I heard the beautiful highs and bass again. I just need to stay below 90 to 95 db to enjoy it without being harsh. So sometimes it's not just the amp, it could be the speakers or the room itself. I would suggest the OP to try out a less sensitive speaker to confirm if it's really the Primaluna that's bright in his system.

My bet is that it isnt the tubes, its the caps.

Solen sucks.  Turn to Mundorf or clarity

@erik_squires I can attest that mundorf is indeed neutral and not bright. I have also had the clarity caps in my Zu Audio speakers and they are not bright but more crisp. 

I recently changed my preamp tubes to RCA Clear Tops 12AU7. You owe it to yourself to try this as this tube is not sibilant but airy. It will tame the highs for sure as it did in my system.