Record Static Charge Affecting Vertical Tracking Force (VTF)?

Hi,

This winter, I've been experiencing a lot of static charge build up on my records after using various brushes. So much so, that I frequently hear a crackling sound when I lift the record off the platter and the record mat clings to the record. (The relative humidity in winter in my house varies between low 30's to high 40"s percent.) I live in San Francisco and it has been a very dry winter!

Several days ago prior to listening, I brushed the record and the resulting static build up was so great that it pulled the tonearm across the platter when I picked up the record to use a destat device  on it. Fortunately, the arm lift was raised so the stylus did not drag across the platter.

Afterwards, I started wondering  that if the static charge is great enough to attract a tonearm, then how much downward force is added to the VTF?  Also, how much of a charge is needed for this to occur? Using some sort of static charge eliminator device prior to playing a record should eliminate this potential.

It make me wonder how often and how much the VTF increases due to static charges when the record has not been subjected to static charge removal prior to listening?

grk

Yup, ground yourself before handling and then sweep the mounted LP with a deStat. That's the ticket.

Never heard of a static problem to that degree! I mean pulling a tonearm? Platter mat sticking to the LP? The one thing that might come to mind is to ask if you are using negative ion air cleaner in the room. I quit using one in my electronic shop after I noticed static was incredible compared to NO static before I used an ionizer.

Thanks all!  I have not had any air cleaners running since last year when the air quality became so bad due to the California wild fires. I just recalled that I have a Maple Shade record brush (somewhere) with a wire and plug that is supposed to go into the ground of an unused outlet. I will have to try it again as well as the other suggestions.

@rhljazz  9% humidity...wow that is very low! Makes my levels look humid.