Outdoor Landscape series speakers

I am interested in installing landscape speakers (satellites and buried sub(s)) in my backyard, including zones for patios, a gazebo, pool, and hot tub.  Has anyone purchased or demo'd a landscape series speaker set, and could share perspective on preferred equipment?  There seem to be a few major players (Sonance, Martin Logan, Paradigm, TIC, OSD).  I have a few questions:

1. Is it better to buy one large system or a few smaller systems (e.g., Pardigm GO4 package). 

2. When is it preferred to have 6" vs. 4" satellites?

3. What control systems are preferred (Sonos amp, Control4, Elan, etc.)?

billg06897

I've done a quite a number of landscape systems over the years.  For the aspect of the speakers, the best performing and most rugged I have ever dealt with are from Near and James Loudspeaker.  Those two are some truly fine speaker offerings. 

https://www.bogen.com/near 

The LB and the NearScape systems are great.  Fantastic sound and great looks.  The Near systems are definitely a notch or two above the offerings from Sonance, Episode, ML, etc.

https://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/categories/40

The James gear is truly customizable to what ever you want.  You want Ferrari red satellites?  They will do it for you.  Everything is built out of aluminum, no plastic parts.You need (4), 21" in-ground bandpass subwoofers?  No problem. 

I'd go with the smaller satellites all around rather than the larger, 6" models, unless you have a huge yard.  The smaller satellites with subwoofer(s) look better and don't draw attention to themselves, either.

For control and sources, a Sonos Port with proper amplification could be an easy way to go.  If you have a control system for the home already, such as Elan, Control4, Savant, etc., then you would need to bring in the landscape systems amplification control into the control systems umbrella. 

What is the approx. size of the area you are trying to cover for sound?  Is there also a patio area that would need sound?  Is there a pool/ hot tub?  Do you have an idea on what to budget for this project?

There are likely 4 different zones: Upper Patios, Pool, Hot tub, and Gazebo.  The upper patios can take house-mounted outdoor speakers.  The pool area is 2,600 sq. ft., the hot tub area is 200 sq. ft., and the gazebo area is 275 sq. ft.  For the gazebo, I could use regular outdoor speakers inside it.

I worked for Magnolia for a bit and am familiar with the Sonance products.  One of my neighbors spend big $$$ on another outdoor speaker system (without subs) and another bought a Sonance system from me with the subs.  The Sonance system sounded clearly superior and more enjoyable, and my other neighbor was not happy given what he spent.  The sub makes all the difference!  A little-known secret is that a few times a year Sonance runs HUGE sales where you can get like 50% off retail, and most Magnolia stores will likely share with you when the next big sale will be.  I’d absolutely do that because they’re a screaming value on sale, and they also offer a really good warranty if you ever have a problem.  FWIW, and best of luck.