VPI Fatboys versus others in its' tonearm weight class.

In their never ending quest to push fiscally responsible audiophiles into bankruptcy, site members have succeeded in making me consider a new gimbaled tonearm to keep a Lyra Kleos company on a VPI Classic 2 turntable. Dover, on my previous thread, pointed out most other tonearm options would be limited on the Classic 2 short of major surgery to it. So here I am considering keeping the tonearm upgrade in the VPI family. Their gimbaled Fatboy, will readily fit onto the VPI Classic 2’s tonearm base without any fuss.

Here’s my question after reading up on the Fatboy. How does the Fatboy compare with other tonearms in it’s $4500 price range? Is it about average in that class, which would be acceptable, or is it much better or worse than its’ peers?. If you.ve had any chance to compare the Fatboy with other tonearms in the same price range, what is your impression? I don’t want to spend that much money on one if the consensus is that it’s at the bottom of its class, which hopefully it isn’t.

I haven’t had an opportunity to listen to one, or any other tonearm as expensive. I would likely need to arrange a two day road trip to accomplish that. In lieu, I’m soliciting your impressions as to whether the Fatboy is worth that much compared to others in it’s price range. I guessing it will be okay, but don’t want to spend $4500 if the consensus is it’s at the bottom of its’ class just because it fits easily on my turntable. So what do you think? I’m all ears.

I’m not looking here for alternative solutions to a Fatboy. That was the topic of my recent thread, I’m only soliciting your impressions of the Fatboy compared to other similarly priced tonearms, and why I should or shouldn’t take a chance on it. Thanks all,

Mike

skyscraper

My VPI is mounted on the base with screws .....there is no cutout.   In all the arms I've worked with there was a cutout in the table to acomodate it. Another arm would require you or someone else to cut it out.

Post removed 

Thekong and stringreen- Thanks for your clarifications.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Fatboy’s performance versus it’s peers? Love to hear some .of your thoughts on that. Why did you get your Fatboy if you have one.

Mike

I prefer the VPI unipivot for its speed and clarity in the midrange-- although not quite as strong in the bass as the fatboy.

Gbg4blu, I did read a similar observation in one review abut the unipivot Fatboy having a cleaner midrange, versus a stronger base response with the gimbal version. Lyra recommends a gimbaled tonearm so i guess i’d have to be happy with the better bass response.

Mike