Room Acoustics: Where to place the squares?

I got some sound squares. Where do they go? Behind the speakers? Ceilings?

Back walls?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmoose89

But to cut down the early reflections is another matter.

My point is, if you don’t have control over the room decay you won’t notice first reflection point absorption. I’ve treated several rooms, and never have I heard a big improvement by treating first reflection points alone. Only once the room was better treated did those panels suddenly become worthwhile. We pay too much attention to first reflection points, IMHO. It’s not, alone, going to do much good.

My point is, if you don’t have control over the room decay you won’t notice first reflection point absorption. I’ve treated several rooms, and never have I heard a big improvement by treating first reflection points alone. Only once the room was better treated did those panels suddenly become worthwhile. We pay too much attention to first reflection points, IMHO. It’s not, alone, going to do much good.

Good for what?
And how are you quantifying, or describing, improvement?

it would only be for imaging and maybe ease of listening.
A few squires should not tonally change things.

I still want to know more about the squares, as in size, thickness, material used, and how many. Who makes them and what model would do.

It seems erik_squires know very well room acoustic...

I recommend to listen to his advice...

His advice here will help greatly to perceive a natural timbre experience which is only possible by controlling also timing of the direct and indirect waves ...

Room acoustic cannot be figured out  only with the metaphor of boucing rays anyway, a room is an enclosure   of competing pressure zones also... Then like says our friend here the room must be treated globally...

Thanks

How many and how big??

Of course people will advise you to put them at 1st reflection points but honestly I find that alone this is never enough. You need to have a critical mass of room treatment before you get a noticeable benefit IMHO.

Spread it around!

My point is, if you don’t have control over the room decay you won’t notice first reflection point absorption. I’ve treated several rooms, and never have I heard a big improvement by treating first reflection points alone. Only once the room was better treated did those panels suddenly become worthwhile. We pay too much attention to first reflection points, IMHO. It’s not, alone, going to do much good.

For the OP and @4krowme I have some brands:

GIK Acoustics - Great performing, not the cheapest, but high value

ATS Acoustics - Even cheaper than GIK, also good but GIK has some models that are exceptional

amcoustics.com - Great resource for learning about room modes and room acoustics.

The bottom left of the Amcoustics page has a calculator for panels.