Is rectifier tube arcing a problem?

I did some research and couldn’t find a definite answer.  I have an amp that I tried 6 different pairs of 5U4G and 5U4GB. 3 pairs has arcing (RCA 5U4G, TungSol, Svetlana 5C3S) and 3 pairs don’t (RCA 5U4G with hanging filament, EH 5U4GB, Sylvania 5931).  I took the amp to a technician and he checked everything, he can’t find anything wrong.  The problem is, I like the sound of the TungSol and Svetlana which both have arcing.  The technician said it is ok to keep using them, but honestly I am not too comfortable.  But I like their sound.  Is it really ok to keep using the arcing tubes?  Will it damage the amp?

gte357s

+1 atmashpere too. I'm not a tube guy, but atmasphere has a point about the caps being too large. I ran into this problem while servicing a Sony V-fet amp. Both of you guys know your stuff. 

Post removed 

@atmasphere @imhififan 

Yes, mine also has 220uF capacitor, and yes, the arcing only happens when the amp is turn on. After than, and if the fuse doesn’t blow, the amps sound fine.

here is the wiring diagram of the capacitor and resistors.

Wiring Diagram

Besides adding diodes, is there other recommended options about changing capacitors or resistors?  But I guess changing capacitors and resistors will have a bigger impact to the sound, right?

Yes, mine also has 220uF capacitor, and yes, the arcing only happens when the amp is turn on. After than, and if the fuse doesn’t blow, the amps sound fine.

Nailed it!

I would replace the capacitors after the choke with 50uF devices rather than the 220uf units. If anything you might hear a slight improvement since the smaller cap might perform better at high frequencies, if you install ones of similar quality. If you do this there may be no need to install the solid state rectifiers, although the caps in succeeding legs of the power supply are gross overkill (contributing to rectifier failure) as well. You could run 1/5th the value and be fine.

@atmasphere

thank you very much. A couple more questions:

1) is it able to tell from the diagram if there other rectifier that can be used and handle the current drawn by the 220uF capacitor?

2) is it necessary or recommended to change the other two capacitors? If yes, what values should I use?

3) comparing to adding diodes, in your opinion, which way will yield better sound?