Phono Stage Advice

Looking to add a phono stage to my recently upgraded system.

A few months ago I went the tube route by adding an Audio Research Ref 160S amplifier and a Ref 6SE line stage preamplifier.  In addition I got back into vinyl with a Pro-ject 6 Perspex SB.  I have decided to stay in the vinyl game but believe I need to add a dedicated phono stage to improve my phono sound.  Currently, I have my phono connected into my HT MX160 McIntosh preamp and then I put the ref 6se preamp into pass thru mode. My belief is that I can get much better sound if I directly connect my phono into the ref 6SE (bypassing McIntosh MX160) but to do that I need a phono stage OR am I overthinking this and will not get a much better sound and stick with current set up.  I am impressed with the tube sound but open to SS if that makes better sense.

Additional Components involved:

Wilson Audio Alexia speakers, transparent cabling, sumiko cartridge, Lumin T2 connected directly into Audio Research preamp.  Predominantly listen to 50/60's Jazz, Classical and some rock.

I am also open to upgrading my TT if you think that should be part of my solution.

I would like to stay under $10K for the phono line stage and separately under $10K for a phono upgrade including cartridge.

Look forward to the creative solutions and thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

Woots

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xwoots

First you have top flight tube gear w ARC selections you have made. IMO, knowing well several  of the top 5 ARC dealers in the country ( Randy at Optimal Enchantment ) in Santa Monica and Johnny at Audio Connection in Verona NJ and Alan Jones at HiFi buys in Atlanta, can assist you w a complex upgrade…to get the MOST out of those stellar ARC components.

Having said that, SOTA w Origin live arm, Lyra or similar cartridge from Donna as @sbank astutely mentions is a great path. Your system deserves a stellar phono stage ! 

Best to you on your search. Also put a Degritter RCM in the budget for sure.

Jim

@woots - here’s my choice

For the phono stage

• Simmaudio Moon 610 LP
  • one of the quietest, most configurable and detailed phono stages out there
  • the 810 LP is even better

For the turntable - MUSIC HALL MMF11.3 TURNTABLE

• music hall’s unique quadruple-plinth design with improved TPE vibration isolation
  • new freestanding and completely isolated motor assembly
  • dual motor and flywheel assembly is located on the center left side of the turntable eliminating all motor and belt vibration from the cartridge
  • one-piece 9cc Evolution carbon fiber tonearm
  • tonearm uses hardened Swiss ABEC 7 ball races in inverted bearing
  • tonearm is internally wired with flexible wire drawn from high purity copper with only two contact points from cartridge to output connectors
  • counterweight’s center of gravity is level with the stylus tip is decoupled from the arm and acts as a resonance damper
  • fully adjustable VTA, azimuth, and dampened arm lift
  • exclusive microprocessor electronic speed control with dual motor single flywheel drive system
  • 33 1/3 and 45 rpm speed change at the touch of a button
  • adjustable magnetic-levitation feet
  • inverted ceramic main bearing for ultra-quiet operation
  • 7.4 lbs. (3.35 kg) acrylic platter
  • detachable phono cable
  • high quality gold-plated RCA connectors
  • display-style large removable acrylic dust cover

Then pick a cartridge that is compatible with the arm

• I would select from the Soundsmith lineup

That should round up to your budget

Regards - Steve

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies and depth of knowledge. Definitely did not realize the complexity involved and will do the research.  I’ll also reach out to Donna as suggested.  

Woots

Even at a much lower level, such as my present system, the phono stage is the component that I have to be careful about choosing. It wasn’t whether the unit was good or bad so to say, but how well it worked with the cartridge that I am using. Funny thing is that once I got the ’right’ phono stage, it revealed how lacking my cartridge is, and on we go. FWIW, I have tried out 4 phono stages just to get this far. I should also add that they were of 3 different designs, i.e. LR (inductor Resistance), two tubed, and SS.