Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

Few months ago Gramophone  declared the Minnesota the Orchestra of the Year. 

Jim204,

Just heard the UK has taken a Russian Cargo ship in the English Chanel .

Seems like only the Royal Navy could do that ?

Need a lot of guts anyway one looks at it.

I  can  only have the outmost respect for the fight of the Ukraine people but see no

way they can win.

@jim5559   Yes my friend the ship was on it's way to St. Petersburg filled with new cars but I'm betting that's not all it was filled with. I am really fearful for the people of Ukraine as that swine Putin is mad and bad enough to do anything , and do remember he was head of the KGB and other black operations so he knows every trick in the book.

Just so 204 , the man has mental problems but stupid he is not .

The people of Ukraine  are making heroic  efforts .

Some engineers had put TNT on a bridge , with a radio to send it off at the right time, but the radio was broken.

One soldier just stood up and walked down to set it off with his hand and himself .

How brave can a man be !