Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

Very much enjoying the Classical Newest Releases playlist on Spotify this afternoon.  Check it out!

Chopin's Nocturnes.  I have four versions (Ohlsson, Moravec, Arrau, Lisieki) and just ordered two more (Freire, Pires).  But kinda bummed that I can't get a CD of Engerer anywhere at a reasonable price.  Seems like the other one that everyone should hear.  And no, I don't stream.

My two pence, if you have Arrau Moravec and Pires I would say you have all bases covered.

Tuning in to the zeitgeist, for about the last month I've been listening to a lot of Shostakovich, particularly the symphonies.  Listening to, for example, the Eleventh Symphony, you can imagine Russian troops in action.  Or you could just turn on the news.

Of the versions of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony I possess on CDs -- Nelsons, Stokowski and Barshai -- I'd recommend Barshai. It has the feeling of an invasion.