What to upgrade from Bluenote Koala? $3500 ish

I am thinking about upgrading from my BlueNote Koala Tube CD Player. I've done A-B comparisons to Audio Reseach CD3 MKII, BAT VK-D5 and Lector CDT.7. Each of those players resolved detail in a more musical way to my ears, and had a deeper more hologaphic soundstage. The Bluenote Koala is very dynamic, but has a rather forward solid state sound to it, albeit very musical. It is wonderful, but when I did the A-B tests, it was bested. I listen to jazz, Singer/Songwriter, blues, Rock. Artists such as: Keb'mo, Nora Jones, Diana Krall, Bruce Cokcburn, Amos Lee, James Blunt, James Taylor, Sting, Aaron Neville, Larry Carlton, Rippingtons, Russ Freeman, Brian Bromberg etc. Hence my search. I'd like to spend no more than $3500 or so. Here is my short list, new and used:

Cary 306/200 (Can't afford the 306SACD)
Cary 303/300
Audio Research CD3 MKII
BAT VK-D5 0r VK-D5SE
Resolution Opus 21
Rega Saturn
Dare I consider the new Shanling CD-T1500 or Raysonic CD128

My System:
Audio Research Vsi55 Tube Integrated
Proac Response 3.5 Floor standing Speakers
BlueNote Koala Tube CD Player (Sovtek 6922's)
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun Speaker cables
Acoustic Zen Silver Ref II IC
Running Springs JACO Power Conditioner
Wireworld Silver Electra 5/2 PC on BlueNote Koala
Black Sand Silver Ref V/Oyaide 046 PC on ARC Integrated
Oyaide XXX AC Wall socket with Carbon fiber Mounting plate
FIM Isoltation roller blocks under components
Dedicated audio Acrylic Cable lifters
128x128groberts3
I feel the need to jump in here to clarify one issue.
I agree with Mr Tennis on the irritating being upper midrange/lower treble emphasis in the frequency response.

But, I dont think that irritating sindrome can only be perceived by people with sensitive ears.
On one side, For people with sensitive ears that kind of frequency response will be really annoying, almost like a little pain in the ear.
One the other side, for people with normal ears the irritating sindrome wont be as annoying but will be the main cause of a fatiguing sound which in a med term of time will take them away from their listening sessions. And they wont know why. A fatiguing sound can be define as a sound you cant listen to for a long period of time. Irritating is one of the main causes for a fatiguing sound.

So, for me and for a lot of people I know, irritating sound as described by Mr Tennis is something we always try to avoid.
I cannot describe my Koala as irritating at all. It is quite musical. Maybe my hearing doesn't pick up on those frquencies like some. I've had a few audiophile friends listen to my system and we compared the Koala with a Shanling, Rega Apollo, Arcam CD92 (with the Arcam DCS Ring Dac) and we all prefered the Koala. It was only when I compared the Koala with an Audio Research CD3 MKII, Lector CDT.7 and BAT VKD5 that I noticed how the soundstage depth, width and detail retrieval can become sweeter and more well defined (BAT,AR CD 3 and Lector were all varying degrees more musical and natural). But without those $5K and up players to compare to, I still prefer the Koala.

I have also rolled some Sovtek 6922's in place of the EH6922's and prefer them. I will try some NOS Amperex or Siemens-Halske 6922's to see what improvements they may add.
Gary,

You may want to consider the Herbie's Audio Lab tube dampers on the 6922s...they have been an inexpensive and very worthwhile tweak in any tube gear that I've tried them on. Usually, an improved and more focused soundstage and a very natural timbre.

Chris
Groberts3,
Try some old real Mullards.It's all relative as I have had Siemen CCa's in the Stibbert as well as various amperex including the pinchwaistes.The Mullards have worked beautifully.
I have never heard this player to be remotely irritating as have any of my audiophile friends which Ml-Prodigy's will certainly let you know.
Best of Luck,bob
Okay!
Everyone please post the results of your last hearing test!
It is unfortunate and most audiophiles,audio designers and musicians can not hear the way they use to.
As we get older our pockets allow for more elaborate equipment and we get more set in our opinions,however,we just can;t hear the way we use to.
Therefore,it becomes personal taste.
I have been a musician for over 20 years and have sold audio in High-end salons and face it "is it true"
As designers master their craft with knowledge gathered over the years it is sometimes in vain.
I know some highend designers and musicians who can't hear @#%&
I have owned the Koala,Stibbert,Lector and many,many more players and would not call any of these players bright.
My suggestion is just pick up a guitar and play if you want to hear real music,however,carefull with that amp and pedal it may change the sound and then your back at square one