Heart vs the Head / Irrational Audio Compulsions?

Before I got into serious audio (magazines, separates, spikes, cables, green marker pens etc) I used to predominantly go by looks to make my purchasing decisions.

I remember being totally enthralled by the LCD meters as featured on some tape decks (Sony?) back in the 1980s.

Of course I’m way past such whimsy now.

Or am I?

Having finally seen and heard one of the skeletal Rega decks in action (Planar 8 or 10) it now often comes back into my thoughts.

It not only sounded very impressive (tape like) but looked so different and strange that suddenly it went from ugly to compellingly desirable in a very short space of time.

All of a sudden my previously trusty rationality seemed to go missing in action.

Now I’m left wondering whether the Technics decks are really better after all.

Or even if it really matters.

cd318

As I recall, Peter Aczel of The Audio Critic dubbed it the “I’ve got to have it” syndrome. It does exist. For some reason, an Audio Note dac seems to be permeating my thoughts right now.

@knotscott

I think I’m largely past that, as I’m more of a straight wire with gain kinda guy now, but I still appreciate a cool looking component.

What’s really changed is what I think is cool.

Me too.

No more garish flashing lights/meters for me now though I’m still partial to a warm glowing green or red LED.

@chayro

As I recall, Peter Aczel of The Audio Critic dubbed it the “I’ve got to have it” syndrome. It does exist. For some reason, an Audio Note dac seems to be permeating my thoughts right now.

It certainly does exist.

Just an hour ago my brother was here talking about getting another car as his current Honda Accord diesel is getting a little clanky with 105k miles on the clock.

He’s looking at a more recent version of his Accord but then he happened to mention he was also looking at a BMW. In his teens he had a thing about BMs but never the money to get (and maintain) one so he settled for Ford’s and Vauxhall’s until eventually graduating to Honda.

After some of the heartbreaking stories we’ve seen in these past few years a new kind of realisation begins to dawn.

Life is finite and it’s not always a bad thing to fulfill at least some of your childhood wishes, is it?

Going against my heart I recently ordered 50’ of Canare 4S11 to use as speaker cable in 2 mini-systems comprised of Sharp SD-EX111’s mated to Polk RT15 and RT15i speakers.

The reason being that our cats would annihilate my go-to 47 Labs OTA cable (of which I have approx. 100’ left/unused) as the speaker cable is exposed in both of these setups.

Decided to save the OTA for the main system.

The Sharp’s were $75 each NIB/closeout ($500.00 list 15 years ago) and the Polk speakers were $15-$20/pr from the local thrifts.

Oddly enough (normal really) I researched considerably more expensive ready made/sturdy cables for the systems, but them my brain kicked in.

I also ordered a couple of Tripp-Lite surge protectors (much needed in the LA/CA area).

The cable and surge protectors cost about the same as the systems (and I may use a spare BMI Whale power cord on one of them;-).

http://www.laaudiofile.com/sdex111.html

DeKay