Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12
Post removed 

The artists are complaining that they aren't making enough money on the digital services AFTER they sold the rights to their music for huge lump sums...

"There is a composer/conductor named Steve Hackman who is taking new music like Rap, Radiohead, Coldplay, and others and mixing it with the classics to form new hybrid versions of the older classic standards that might appeal to a wider modern audience. So using newer music to freshen up the old."

More like using old music to prop up the new.

I am sorry. There is lots of good music being produced these days, but it pales in comparison to the vast catalogue of every conceivable music genre produced in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  There is also a complete lack of musicianship in modern music that drives me crazy. I may be simplifying things, but back in the day musicians got in to music to make music and to produce their own unique sound. These days there are far too many that make music to become rich and famous and have no problem copying whatever music is making money.

That's my old fart rant for today.

If you listen to youtube you'll find covers by 20 and 30 years olds of Blind Faith, Beatles, etc.  Dark Side of the Moon was on the charts for 491 weeks.  Cat Stevens came out of hibernation and issued a current version of a classic half a century old album.  

Think any current group will break the record of Dark Side?  How much current music will be around in half a century?

"keeping the airwaves to themselves". My posterior.

Think any current group will break the record of Dark Side?  How much current music will be around in half a century?

Very good point. One of the very few bands that has people successfully playing their music. Aussie Pink Floyd and Brit Pink Floyd are selling out shows.