Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

@hilde45

Stop whining, get off your butt and take over anytime you want to. No one's stopping you. Although I think it's funny that when I was growing up the Greatest Generation called Boomers lazy, communist, tree-hugging drug-crazed bums. Now people call Boomers greedy capitalists, etc. etc. Can't win. It's all the boomers fault, the world was perfect before 1950, right?

Anyone up for talking audio now?

Here is an article that was just published on Monday on Yahoo News...

Spotify backlash offers rare insight into reeling music industry - and struggles of working musicians

This might open a few people's eyes to what the music business actually is these days....

Some of us were lucky to come up during a period of incredible artistic creation and I suspect younger people are discovering some of those really special tunes and bands as reflected when the author describes his interaction with a server at the restaurant where older tunes were playing: 

I asked my server: “Why are you playing this old music?” She looked at me in surprise before answering: “Oh, I like these songs.”

The author makes valid points about the current industry roadblocks standing in the way of developing new musical talent.  The good news is that people are still listening to music and that many of us have found ways to discover the good new artists who are out there. 

There is the aspect of music taste that is driven by consumerism exposition and publicity....

I never embarked much into that all my life.... For sure i was listening the Beatles ( a bit) and Bob Dylan when i was young for example, but i was way much into classical and choral music at 20 years old than in rock....

I was interested by Indian and Persian music as soon as the cd creation made it possible and more accessible...

Then there is music as consciousness exploration and commercially driven music....There is very good commercially driven music but much is not very good for me...i am not much in nostalgia because at 20 years old Bach was my God and others classical...

Then is Old music killing new music?

This question make sense only in a COMMERCIAL platform for a commercial platform...Anyway most musicians are not classical one or Jazz one in America...But in commercial music also old past very good singers and musicians make possible the new one...

In classical music Bach make room for Chopin make room for Liszt and Liszt make room for Scriabin ....

But i was never into ONLY popular music...Save the good one.... 😁😊

I prefer Jazz nowadays or world music to popular contemporary music but i am very specifically picky even in my jazz research....

Old music make place for better new music and kill the worst...

"Originality" at all cost kill all arts, a minimal respect for tradition keep it alive...

Money is a poison for many artists and for art in general....Or like any drug, the dose is all that matter, money may be a therapeutical drug also....

«The new must ressuscitate the old, and the old must give birth to the new»- Anonymus Musician

« Art evolution line is a spiral»-Anonymus esthetician

«Art is an inspired habit»- Anonymus artist

«Artists cannot be greater than their own craft save on TV»- Anonymus broadcaster

«Art  saved my ass»-Groucho Marx 🤓

Very funny @hilde45! Boomers are keeping younger people away from new music. Accessing a massive amount of music, more than any Boomer could have ever dreamed of having access to, has never been easier. Get off your butt, stop complaining and find some new music. For that matter, you don't even have to get off your butt, just quit complaining and do something.  If you ever feel really brave and energetic, go listen to some live music and buy the LP or CD from the artist while you’re there!