Integrated tube amp vs Tube amp?

My first foray into tubes. Does it make sense to get an integrated tube amp if I have a tube preamp ? I have a McIntosh C2700 now. Should I just look for a straight tube amp to pair with the McIntosh? Do I get an integrated tube amp and use it’s preamp ? I guess I am asking will I get more performance ,for my money, by getting just tube amp?

tooth2th

Separates are usually better in the long run but you need to be practical too (e.g. space, upgrade possibilities years down the road).... You also need to know how to pair them properly...  

I prefer integrated tube (Rogers 65V-1) due to its simplicity.

@mulveling 

i agree completely but with a cary audio SLP-05 and a Pass XA25 I still miss the sound of the Cronus Magnum II.  I have class A solid state quickness but missing whatever the CM II tube amp did.  And the stereo 100 was not "it".  Too dark.  I liked the polished neutrality of the CM II.  

Wow, very interesting! I guess there's good reason the CM is their huge seller. I'm surprised that the Stereo 100 fell flat for you - I'd have figured that would be an "it" piece to show off the quality of separates. I tried a Stereo 90 long ago and really like it. I have Apollo Darks in my collection and they're anything but "dark" sounding. But there's no arguing with your direct experience! That is some nice separates gear your CM II has gone up against.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am currently running for the last month a MC1502, C2700 into Cornwall IVs.  Honestly, it is the nicest sounding system I have ever had.  I had thought about a MC275, but the MC1502 sounded just a bit nicer/richer to my ears.  I tried a hybrid amp, the MA352 before I returned it and went  with the current combination.  I think something similar would serve you well.

@mulveling

forgot about the dark option, thanks for the mention. i may have to order a stereo 100 dark.  

i tried everything to brighten the non dark version including all sorts of tubes and a bright preamp but no luck.