Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

One of teh nice things about streaming is it enables exploring music that otherwise might go unheard.   You don't have to buy to listen and you can let the service decide what to play next that you might like....you don't have to even know about it prior.  Try it you'll like it!  

Why is rock and roll dead? Almost all the rock stations went Class Rock and new rock artists no longer found an audience.

I actually listen to a FM station that is incredible for new music of almost all genres. However, I think most people want to hear what is old and comfortable to them.

I bike almost everywhere these days and the thing that has got me hopefully is all the people cranking tunes on their cars. 

@mapman :

"One of the nice things about streaming is it enables exploring music that otherwise might go unheard.   You don't have to buy to listen and you can let the service decide what to play next that you might like....you don't have to even know about it prior.  Try it you'll like it!" 

Thanks for the suggestion. My recently acquired Hegel H390 has streaming capability. I have no idea how to use it but I don't imagine it would be difficult to find out. I do make use of features on Spotify and allmusic.com  and I read reviews of Jazz and Americana new releases but given the poor results, I might very well have better luck following your advice.