Lieder anyone?

This niche within classical music, largely leaves my cold a defect in my character I'm sure. I suppose it reached a sort of peak in 19th century Germany, becoming an important part of Schubert's output for example. 

But and it's a big but, there is Mahler and Richard Straus, two of my favourite 20th century composers anyway. They both produced achingly beautiful, melancholic song cycles and I never tire of listening to them. If you want to explore them, then anything by Janet Baker or Elizabeth Scwarzkopf are just perfect for Mahler and Leontine Price's 4 Last Songs for Strauss. You can't go wrong with them.

David

david12

I got my share of lieder on my shelves. I whistle/hum/yodel several lieder tunes when I drive my car...like Schubert's "Im Frueling." I love Ellie Ameling. It doesn't matter what tune she's singing.  I even dig Schoenberg's Gurrelieder. What can I say?

My first exposure to lieder was listening to my grandmothers recordings after her graduation from CCM, about 1924. Schumann, Schubert and Brahms. I believe that Schumann is my favorite. Arias are much easier to come by than lieder, given there shear volume.

My favourite lieder recitalist is Dietrich Fischer-Deskau singing Schubert's Wintereisse , so beautiful.

Since we’re mentioning singers, I’d say that Gerard Souzay is one of my favorites. I like Fischer-Deskau but prefer Souzay’s tone. 

Nothing better than Wintereisse with Deskau !

I totally agree that Ellie Ameling is great , a voice as clear as a mountain spring .