Stillpoints Ultra SS under your speakers?

Hi,

I'd like to hear anyone's experiences with replacing their speaker spikes with the Stillpoint Ultra SS isolation/vibration control devices. I did a search and found a few related threads, but I would like to hear more. I want to try them under my Merlin VSM-M's, and yes I know Bobby will strongly disapprove...
BTW, if it matters, my speakers are on a carpeted suspended wood floor.
Thanks!
heymikey
Hi Mikey

I know this is rather late in the game but don't be too concerned if Bobby will approve or disapprove. The bottom line is what you approve. I can't comment on the stillpoint ultra BUT many years back I tried and still use the stillpoint speaker/component 3 point stands and can say that in MY situation it realized an improvement in soundstage and overall enjoyment. The points provided by Bobby work quite well but there ARE differences in the presentation. My memory at the time, and it was quite clear then is that the Stillpoints were clearly more preferable overall, a more relaxed presentation. I can't be more specific since it was a while back but they came out on top. Kind of vague I know but once I make a decision that is clear I don't look back. After all, I would rather listen than spend too much time tweeking, but that's me. The ONE area where his points took top billing by my recollection was in the bass in the respect that it was more incisive. This could very well be preference based but my guess is that Bobby didn't hear the stillpoints to offer a legitimate comparative analysis.

I have come to the realization over years in this hobby that people often have very strong opinions regarding their choices. Bobby P is one such person. While I hold him in the highest regard in respect to offering sound advice to people that purchase his speakers there is a point where we each have to go our own way. I say this having lived and experimented with many combinations with the Merlin's, 13 years. The one thing that is constant is that I feel he has a GREAT 2-way design and regardless of whether I agree with him on all points, one thing I will never dispute and will defend him to the end is his committment and genuine caring that the people that make a purchase in his speakers find total musical enjoyment. This is something that is detractors just don't understand or get. They just don't KNOW how deeply rooted that committment is. Good business, for sure but believe me, it is more than than just a good business model, he cares.
Heymikey,
I have Maggie 3.7 on Mye stands. I am using 3 Ultra 5's on each. (3 was all I could afford for now). Completely changed sound for the better (on hardwood floor). When I added the bases to see if they would still improve sound more (they did), my dealer could not believe sound change that occurred as I Removed 5's to add bases.
For your info the ultra 5's are just sitting on the floor. the Mye stands sit on top of 5's - two in front and one in middle of rear bar. They are not screwed into the stand. this puts devices closest to speaker.
Hifisand, I have never gone beyond four SPs Ultra Five, but four is definitely better than three. IF you carefully get all four in contact with the component. Since you have bases for your Fives, you can make micro adjustments to get all four in contact. Otherwise you would have to find tiny shims to get that contact.

All that I can really say is that I can clearly hear the benefits under speakers and my amps. I use four of either SSs, Minis, or Five everywhere. Incidentally, I once asked Paul Wakeen whether five were better than four. He said apparently as he has a customer who has a six legged SP Component Stand with six Ultra SSs on it. I am not going there.
I have been using Stillpoints for about a year in my system which comprises YG Carmels, Vitus 025, DCS Puccini and matching word clock,MD 108 and Entreq cables and silver Tellus.
When I put six SS Ultras under the speakers the difference was immediately clear. Reduced noise floor, greater transparency and a distinctly more musical presentation.I now have the SSs under the Vitus and the cheaper Minimus under other components. I have also heard them (Minimus) under less expensive Naim amplifiers and the improvement is significant.
I will upgrade the Minimus to Ultras in the near future.
I understand that YG are not yet sold on the benefits of Stillpoints but my ears tell me they do improve the already excellent sound of the Carmels.
In short see if you can have a demo set if at all possible and I would be surprised if you didn't keep them