Decisive moments your your audio journey

Have you had any truly decisive moments in your time in this hobby? 

I would have to point back to the first time I ever heard Magnepans, it was a “whoa what was that moment?” moment. That was in the 1980’s. It was the first time I ever truly heard reproduced music that got the midrange right, without it being squished 

128x128zavato

1968. Heard a truly full-range system. Wow! Bass really helps hifi sound like music!

1989. Heard (and bought) a pair of Apogee speakers. Understood "transparency" for the first time.

1991. Heard really good digital (dCs) at a show. Found one could have zero flutter and non-irritating violin sound simultaneously.

2005. Started treating my audio room (per ASC plan). Suddenly, everything sounded better.

2006. Started using subs and DSP to get even bass. Bass without boom: a pleasure.

Deja Vu Audio loaning me the stereo EL34 amp I ended up buying and owning for 15 years when I brought an amp I bought on Audiogon in for repair. It was so much better sounding than any amp I'd had before I traded them the amp they repaired plus some cash and kept it.

57s with Marantz tube and SS gear. Crazy party, I just tinkered with his stereo all night. The party room had JBLs and SS gear. I stayed in the 57s room. Like heaven to me. Nice set up.

Was into audio for decades then I bought a set of Grado headphones for a portable system I was putting together. Dang if every CD didn't sound great. I decided that having a system that only played a few CDs perfectly was not the way to go, I needed a system that played my music so it sounded good. Maybe not perfectly flat response but a little bounce and maybe a bit too much bass. I've been happy ever since. 

When I was 12 years old (1967) I heard Frank Zappa's Freak Out LP.  I can honestly say it had a profound effect and started me on a lifelong love affair with music.  Listening to Lee Morgan's Rumproller LP as I write this.  To quote the Dead, "what a long strange trip it's been".