Question about Bi-Wiring

My speakers, Martin Logan Motion 40's, are bi-wire capable.

But I have not tried to bi-wire them just yet.

I was wondering, if I were to get better jumper cables to replace the default metal plate jumpers that came with the speakers, would that accomplish the same results as actually bi-wiring the speakers

Or

Should I just go straight to actually bi-wiring?

Thanks

128x128jay73

Well @thyname Michael Jackson was wearing masks before it became fashionable. So there is something there.

@pesky_wabbit yeah supply chain is probably it.

Luckily I was able to use the lamp cord as the fat 4’ AQ cables that connect to the monoblocks, would not stretch out to a stereo amp that replaced the blown monoblock(s).

The OP could also get some copper bar to replace the jumper on his speakers. Which should be easier to source with the supply chain dramas.

The speakers still sound great with lamp cords, but I did bi-wire them as they seemed a bit skinny. At least the picture is a true depiction of how it sits at the moment. Maybe it sound good because the speakers are good… but the bass end of the spectrum has been a bit thin.

@jay73 RE: 

So, you literally mean copper wire terminated to spade or banana plugs with the specs that you mentioned?

Exactly - here's the problem with those plates

• they are most probably made of brass or even some copper alloy like Copper Beryllium
  • this will not conduct the signal as effectively as pure copper
  • if you plug the cables into the HF terminals then the low frequencies are impacted
  • if oyu plug the cables into the LF terminals then the high frequencies are impacted
  • replacing the plated with pure copper (like Romex) or even better use UP-OCC copper, then you should hear no change regardless of which terminals you pluf the cables into

I had a pair of bi-wire speakers

• I tried bi-wire cables and they worked OK
  • then I replaced the plate-jumpers with copper wire and went back to a single cable and it actually sounded better.
  • Then a fellow DIYer told me about the 20" jumper - he had researched different lengths a lot and 20" was the optimum length
  • I then made UP-OCC copper jumpers from 2 x 18 gauge wire from VH Audio and the speakers had never sounded so good

If you are into DIY tale a look at these cables - they provide excellent results

My Audio Alchemy (image99.net)

If you have any questions just ask

Hope that helps - Steve

@williewonka 

Thanks for all the information.

Would you be able to provide a photo of your jumpers?

Curious to see what it looks like.

Thnx

@jay73 - unfortunately I recently sold those speakers with he Jumpers on them and I did not take any pictures.

But they are very simple

• I used two pieces of VH Audio UP-OCC 18 gauge copper wire for each jumper 20 inches long
    • strip the insulation at one end of the pair for about 1/2"
    • twist tightly together
    • Then twist the two wires in a more relaxed twist
      • about one complete twist every 3 to 4 inches (see image)
    • Finish the other end in the same way - with e tight twist
    • Then on each end I use KLE Innovations Banana plugs, they provide the best sound quality
      • but you can use bananas or spades of your choice,
      • Furez makes a very good pure copper or silver plated copper spade

Hope that helps - Steve