Computer to DAC with no USB

I have a Benchmark DAC I purchased based on quality, not connectivity. I have been trying to figure out how to connect the DAC to my computer having only an optical, coaxial, and XLR connection at my disposal.

I found an RME audio interface with optical output (and coaxial clock), will the audio interface take output from my computer, or does it only come from external inputs?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks

ricksgiving

Thank you for your responses.

The idea of a DDC makes sense, but there aren’t many products on the market yet. Maybe the demand for a DDC isn’t all that high. Maybe it’s the fact that the i/o overlap so much with audio interfaces.

dCS Purcell Inputs

RME Hammerfall

As for the streamer, it’s a great idea in terms of connectivity, but I’m not looking to stream. I much prefer playing saved files.

At this point, is it a driver/software difference? The DDC provides gain, but so does a preamp, which my DAC will plug into. I dunno.

I have an ASUS Mini PC. Good processing and storage, but the motherboard is under the HDD and cooling fan. Lots of USB and video connections, though.

Use a usb to spdif converter    USB on computer to spdif converter spdif output to dac spdif input. Easy Peazy. 

Post removed 

+1 Stereo5

"Use a USB to S/PDIF converter"

This is a perfect solution for older DACs running in iso-synchronous mode.

Bel Canto made a great one, and they are still around on the used market.

Supports up to 24/192 PCM