Neil Young - Barn Documentary

Great behind the scenes look at Mr Young and band at work...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - A Band A Brotherhood A Barn (Official Documentary)

bigquery

Neil definitely in my top ten live artists, would go see every time he came around. Heard Barn last listening session for first time, these guys can still rock. And I do like the fact Neil has a conscience and has the freedom to exercise it.

I'd agree Neil is different type of guitarist in that he is not the most technically proficient, yet he has unique style, so emotive! His wall of sound when wailing is awe inspiring to me! And yet he can be subtle and gentle at other times.Neil is one of the good ones, misunderstood at times, certainly an iconoclast.

@pops , @sns :

I agree. And when it comes to tunes like Like a Hurricane or Cortez, he's in a class by himself. No one can do what he does when he's deep into playing such tunes.

Neil lost me as a fan with his ignorant rants about HIV and AIDS.

He is dead to me and has been since the 80’s. 

He is as ignorant as Kid Rock.

@jerryg123 - I must have missed that. What did Neil say about HIV and AIDS?

I am no fan of Old Man Pebble, either!

@larsman here is a summary of what this vile old man said.

Now, public health comments Neil Young made during the AIDS epidemic are surfacing online. In an interview with Melody Maker in 1985, Young slid into a homophobic rant as he spoke about Reagan’s gun control policies and AIDS. In particular, Young called gay people ‘f—ggots’ and tied them to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. “You go to a supermarket, and you see a f—ggot behind the f—kin’ cash register; you don’t want him to handle your potatoes.”

The comments have since been republished by numerous other publications, including The Los Angeles Times and Rolling Stone.

Young has found himself on both sides of the political divide. In 1989 he wrote the anti-George H.W. Bush song, “Rockin’ in the Free World.” He was also one of the most vocal critics of George. W. Bush in the 2000s.

But in the 1980s, Young was a vocal supporter of Ronald Reagan’s policies. In the early days, AIDS was thought to be a disease spread by homosexuality, particularly by gay men, who were frequently targeted and ostracized. AIDS was even called the Gay-Related Immune Deficiency (GRID) for a brief time.

Young made those comments 37 years ago, but it also highlights how a person’s opinions can change over the course of nearly 40 years. The reaction online to these comments has been a bitter divide in what seems like a politically charged debate. Those who support Young say he’s allowed to change his views over the course of three decades. Others point to the hypocrisy of a grandstanding public figure.

“He was 40 years old at the time he made that comment, and hasn’t apologized for it since,” one commenter on Reddit blasted.