SubWoofer Help ASAP...

Hello, can anyone recommend a solution. Just moved into a condo with carpet all over. I am currently running 2 M&K subs... MX-350 THX and MPS 5210 THX... Both are dual 12" drivers.

My problem is that the bass notes on both music and home theater sound very boomy and almost hollow in a sense. I had the same exact setup at my previous place and sounded amazing. Concrete floors on previous place. Oh yeah and new place, set up is in the second floor.

Question is what can I do to get that tight accurate bass that I had. Any help or suggestion welcomed. Thanks in advance guys.
jurm
You might also want to read the thread I have started a few month ago:

Looking for the BASS

However, Bryon suggestions are very good and clear and pretty much cover the subject. I have but two minor comments, which I hope he does not mind and also agrees with them:

1) When applying "METHOD 1", it is helpful to play a jazz walking bass line (make a loop with the cd player if possible) and look for the position in the room where all notes of the double bass sound equally loud and tight. This is what Bryon means when he writes "listen for the location where the bass is the most *consistent* across low frequencies"

2) When applying "METHOD 2", at step 2) is the crossover frequency of the subwoofer, of course.

Finally, start with only one subwoofer. The second one you can place following the exact procedures outlined above.

Good luck and be patient!
Paul
08-16-12: Nvp
When applying "METHOD 1", it is helpful to play a jazz walking bass line (make a loop with the cd player if possible) and look for the position in the room where all notes of the double bass sound equally loud and tight.
Hi Paul - I think this is a very good suggestion. It's exactly how I make fine-tuning adjustments after general placement has been determined through measurements.

One of my favorite tracks for double bass is "Use Me" from Patricia Barber's album Companion, especially the solo in the first 30 seconds. If you can make the bass on that track sound deep, even, and fast (the most difficult), you're in very good shape.

Bryon
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Looks like I have some homework to do... Ok I'll keep you guys posted, I'm gonna get some work done to fix this this weekend. I appreciate all your insight and suggestions. Thanks a bunch... And yes Paul, I need to be patient. Ha ha
Great answers so far, so nothing to add. Bascially your new room has a bass node right on top of your listening position. So it's just a matter of tweaking to even out the in room response by the methods laid out above. It takes time, but pays off so be patient.