How Do I Stream Netflix Audio On A Smart TV To My AV Receiver

I recently went from an 11 year old Marantz AV Processor
and 5 channel amp. to an Anthem 5.1 AV Receiver.

My LG smart TV has optical out, but no HDMI out.
I am currently using the optical out from the TV
to the Anthem for streaming.

With these limitations, is there a way to stream video
and audio from my TV through my AV receiver with
a HDMI cable? I am using eARC.

ericsch

Why?

I can see no purpose served. Besides this is more of an AV question. Netflix IS NOT HiFi.

Use your optical out of your TV to a DAC optical in. If you don't have one you can buy a cheap one for 100 bucks or cheaper. The DAC stereo outs connect to your Anthem. This will give you Netflix audio through your speakers(.2 channel)

I do it and it sounds great. Of course one of these forum trolls will probably disagree with me...but try it. I think you'll like it.

Oh that:s gonna get you HDMI. Not.

I know down converting from, not up converting to HDMI because there is no reason to.

Since your smart TV only has optical audio output, that's what you'll have to use if you want to use your smart TV app for streaming video. Unfortunately this does mean you will be limited to the audio codecs that will go out over optical, which is probably 5.1 discrete LPCM, or Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. If that is what gets delivered to your TV by the streaming services. Dolby Atmos will not go out over the optical connection.

If you want Dolby Atmos, you will need to get a separate streaming box and use that instead of your TV's built in apps.