Does the Vandersteen 1C Hold Up to Modern Standards?

There are a pair of Model 1C speakers in my area on the used market. We don't get many of them up here in New England. I am considering going to listen to them and possibly buying them. I'm in a small room (14'x9'x7'). They look to be in excellent condition and they are inexpensive enough that shipping the woofers (if needed) back to Vandersteen for re-foaming is still a good deal. I have a good subwoofer I can use if needed. Since I'll be listening in an unknown room with gear I don't know, I just want to put it out to see if anyone has experience with these. 

I currently have Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers and find that they sound a little tubby in my space and I just wish the imaging was a little more open. The vertical dispersion of the AMT tweeter is pretty bad, so I have to be sitting for the tonal balance to be correct. I've moved them around quite a bit within the available space. They are on the factory stands and are located 3' from the wall which has a built-in bookcase. 

I listen to large ensemble jazz, orchestral music, pop from the '70s/'80s, and a variety of other music. I enjoy scale and dynamics of the large ensemble music I listen to, but I'm not a headbanger by any means. 85 dB peaks do me just fine. Not a fan of speakers that are too forward (B&W/Focal, etc.) 

The rest of my system is a MacBook Air, Bluesound Node, Schiit Freya+ Tube Preamp, and a PS Audio Stellar S300 power amp. 

Any thoughts before I go over there are appreciated! 

Glen 

128x128spacecadet65

Vandersteen does not upgrade a model unless there is a true sonic improvement. If it were me I'd try and find a pair of 1Ci's. I got mine for a really good deal and I use them in my 2nd system. 

The Vandy 1's are a great bargain for the price, especially used.

If you can demo them, then listen for any distortions that would indicate a bad driver-Buzzing and the like.

All Vandy speakers are time and phase aligned, so they are very easy on the ear.  When set up properly(use the manual-available online), the will offer a wide soundstage, free of 'beaming'.

That you have a sub is good, as the 1's are a bit bass shy-mostly due to their physical limitations-Which is not to say they lack bass, but a sub would definitely improve their low range.

As you are aware, Vandy's are somewhat limited on the used market, so if they sound good and are priced well, I would go for it.

PM me if you want any other info.

bob

Should be similar to the 2C, which I have had for coming up on 40 years,
At least when I was looking back in the day, I was looking at 1C as well.

Objectively the 2C rate a 4.4 on the olive scale.
So they are still pretty good by modern standards. 
I would make sure that they sound good, as shipping and reforming would add cost. So the Treos should be better, and you would not want to the $ to run up to Treo levels. 

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/vandersteen_model_2/