Are Quicksilver power tube amps in the same league as VAC, VTL, BAT, ARC, ...?

I see that VAC, VTL, BAT, ACR power tube amps are almost twice or more expensive than Quicksilver power tube amps at the same power ratings.
Are Quicksilver power amps as good as twice or more expensive brands?
I am considering power tube amps with 80, 100, or 120Watts power ratings and I just wonder.
I don't have much budget (under 5K) and my choice is either new QS or those other brands used.
If not QS, which brands are best bang for the buck for power tube amps?
I need to drive 87dB speaker, so the power has to be at least 80Watts.
Thanks for your input.
128x128ihcho
WARNING -Do not Buy VTA amps if you have any issues with your line voltage, are they cheap-yes, do they sound ok-yes, I had nothing but constant issues with the VTA 120, I was told to make over 4 changes, none resolved the problems I was having, they are far from perfect, and there are many complaints about the electrical issues regarding the VTA 120 and 125s. I purchased the Quick Silver Monos, had them for over a year, they are perfect and can handle my voltage that can fluctuate over the 120s, no issues whatsoever.
[@lloydc] The Quicksilver amps look relatively easy to upgrade, e.g. better caps, being wired point-to-point and more classic than exotic; anyone doing that?

Yes.  Not totally necessary, yet ultra high-end caps and quality input/driver tubes do bring the sound of the monos to a level equal to amps at a much higher cost. 

I just visited an audio friend who has the Magenapan 3.7i' powered by a very highly respected, with good reason, integrated amp with high current capabilities and a well matched pair of subwoofers. This guy is a sophisticated and highly respected audiophile AND passionate music lover. One could make the case that this would be considered "high end" audio at the pinnacle of performance. We all understand that hyperbole, at least some of us might in the context of who says so? I must say I was impressed, it was quite easy to be impressed. Can it be sustained over long term listening? This was a few days ago, exactly a week after I had just received my new pair of Magenapan 1.7.i speakers.  Reason I purchased was last listen to this same system 2 months earlier prior to intro of the subs. 

Fast forward to my initial intro. When I arrived home I listened to my new speakers with QS Silver 88 monos with a beloved Conrad Johnson preamp, a very satisfying combo. The difference between his system and mine was startling.  Most notably dynamics, bass impact and the extension in the upper frequencies. Or maybe a difference in the tweeters of the speakers?

Audio is about serving the music we love. The priorites we have predicate the choices we make. Experience helps with those choices. My choices may be different than another but the MOST  important factor isn't what anyone else likes or thinks is best.  Now the point, does QS amplification play with the big boys? Based on my experience and for the 7 years I've owned this amplifier and heard with numerous speakers is absolutely a YES! Does it have the absolute resolution (maybe) and dynamics of the above system, definitely not! Our rooms are different our speakers are different our priorities differ as well.   All I can say is even though Mike Sanders told me my amps wouldn't be the best choice with my 1.7i speakers, they draw me in for hours of blissful enjoyment. Bass is rounded and tuneful, midrange and upper frequencies can make you shed tears, if inclined to such a reaction especially on choral, oh my what a great  match. The harmonic resolution these amps are capable of take a backseat to nothing in my experience, piano can sound so real on the best recordings, oh and string quartets too. Not to worry they also are quite satisfying on rock. When you factor in the prices these amps sell for and upgrades possible, you end up with an exceptional value. What is the secret sauce? My guess and bet is the transformers, isn't that generally the case in the best tube designs?  The more expensive amps may have better component parts and in some cases larger power supplies that might make such amp a better choice in a given application, that's the only difference I can make out. Good is good, better and best is left to the buyer to decide.

What I can tell you is that Audio Research is super super reliable as long as you  take it normally.  With more than 25 years, you can use it in good condition.  What else tube amplifier could be that way? I do not know.

Post removed