GIK Vicoustic and others

I started work on my basement room which will be used exclusively for 2 channel stereo 

It's quite small 14 x 11 but that's all I got to work with. 

What is the best way to position speakers? Along the long wall or the short wall? 

Would Sonus Faber Ellipsa overload this small room? 

I got two 20 amp receptacles and two 15 amp for other things 

I'm looking into proper acoustic treatments and was wondering which company is best for price and quality  

Also, are there specific recommendations for dry wall and insulation ? Do I Insulate the ceiling or just walls?  It's a small room, I am concerned about making it too dead. What about ceiling ? 

ei001h

Sorry i hit enter without editing my comments. The three panels were GIK. The point at the end was that I ordered black Tube traps and they integrate well with my black speakers/grills/subs. Rather than the off white units that tend to stand out at acoustic treatments. I highly recommend the much more expensive Tube traps. Big sonic gain and tunable to your room and the space you have available.

@ei001h Contrary to the above post, double drywall DOES not only improve room acoustics but it cuts down on sound transmission. Make sure your door is massive as well and seal in all the way around the perimeter.

Rock wool is a good product acoustically. Again, I suggest wall and even ceiling insulation-but more for thermal qualities than acoustic ones. Just don’t expect miracles acoustically. Mass is what you need-not fluff!

If you have the opportunity to build this room, do it right.

obtw-when I had a quality issue with acoustic panels from Audimute, they were great. Went above and beyond and replaced the panels.

@ei001h

Double drywall does work (Quiet rock is the bomb, Home Depot) I did that and used green glue between the layers. I also had spray foam installed and then rock wool on top of that on all walls and ceiling before drywall. Prior to drywall going up it was eerily so quiet that it was actually disturbing because of no reflections at all.

If you’re going to do it might as well do it right. BTW I have more than a case of Green Glue left over if your interested.

Regards,

barts

@barts 

why double dry wall if you’re already using rock wool ? Where did you instal spray foam ? Why is glue important?

@ei001h 

I just finished my basement room a few weeks ago. I was in the same situation as you with not knowing the best way to build the room but wanted to do it right to achieve the best sound I could. I ended up going with an acoustician to design the room for me and I built it. His price was VERY reasonable. I recommend consulting a professional to at least get their thoughts. Jeff at hdacoustics is great to work with   He I’d very thorough and knowledgeable. Good luck! 

Ron