Here is my beef

I have enjoyed learning so much about Audio through What's Best Forum and Audiogon over the last 8 years.  I have many new audio friends from around the world as a result of these forums.  In some cases, I want to explore even more information from individuals on certain topics and threads.  Sure you can send an email through Audiogon to individuals but in a lot of cases, I would love to contact this person directly by phone or personal email.  I am not selling products behind Audiogon's back.  I just want to communicate and have a discussion with people on these forums on a more personal level.   I can do it on WBF but not on Audiogon.  They do not allow phone numbers or personal emails.  That sucks.

Oh wait, I have another bitch.  I am functionally blind and in order to send this message, I have to identify traffic signals which I can't frickking see.  That is BS and discriminatory.  

willgolf

Audiogon is a business. period. they are not changing. and don't expect them to.

ask the Audiogon member to PM you on What's Best Forum. it's simple for someone to join there if they mutually want to interact privately. yes, it's not as simple as it could be but not really any big deal.

Simple. PM the person you want to contact by phone. Instead of using numbers like 1,2,3,4, print out numbers like one, two three, or four.

I’ve contacted people via Agon with phone numbers etc. A PM will get flagged if there seems to be a side deal being put together to bypass the trade side of Agon. Other than that, it’s usually not an issue. Or do as suggested above and send a number “phonetically”…

@willgolf - before the Internet, this was done through individual contacts and clubs, among other things (events too, something we haven't had much of recently). Audiogon does not have a lock on your ability to communicate with folks in the community. Most of the people who are really plugged in tend to be in the industry (or so close to it that they are readily known). Nothing prevents you from contacting such people. All you need to do is ask. 

I've called musicologists, scientists, inventors of notable hi-fi, performers, producers and the like simply to talk shop with no monetary agenda in mind. If someone can make time (and you may have to schedule that, and possibly, put your thoughts into some notes to make sure you cover what you want), I think you'll find that there are people to "give." And if they are manufacturers, unless you are calling to bitch, they'll probably be more than happy to take the call. I called somebody at a manufacturer from whom I bought not a thing, simply because he knew how to use Jensen Imperials as bass cabinets. Have fun, Will. Life is too short. Don't worry about A-gon. From the sounds of it, you aren't trying to **** them. There was a whole industry out there long before this site appeared. Due respect, humble apologies to our host, etc. 

Bill Hart