Protection needed for amp?

I live in N. CA, where power outages have become more frequent.

As a result, we've had a propane back-up generator installed that comes on automatically when the there's an outage.

Question: If my system is running and power is suddenly cut off due to an outage, then suddenly restored by the generator, does this pose any danger to the amp?

My recently purchased Hegel H390 is the most expensive component I've ever bought and I'd prefer not to replace it.

If it sounds like I know nothing about electricity, it's because I don't. 

When I power up the amp, there's always a delay, then a loud click, before it's ready for use, whatever that might suggest. 

Thanks in advance! 

stuartk

+1 carlsbad for explanation. I do have surge protection for my equipment, but then I've doubled to 5X the filter cap capacity in virtually all of my equipment (not just the power amps). Class D subs don't go into the surge protector.

@carlsbad:

Thanks very much for that detailed explanation. you bring up many points about which I was unaware. 

I suspect the Hegel does have a "soft start", if the short delay between pushing the on switch and the loud click that indicates its readiness is an indication. 

Wow, so much weird information in Jerry's post I hate to even touch it.

I will just reiterate that the whole house units don't clamp low enough or fast enough given the equipment I've lost to lightning which is why the very same manufacturers who sell whole house units recommend you supplement them with outlet surge protectors for sensitive electronics.

I will also say that you need to be very careful in buying boutique power conditioners as many of them aren't even UL listed as surge protectors.  Testing a device for adequacy during a surge protector is not a trivial thing.  It requires specialized equipment and engineers with expertise in surge arresting. Always look for this rating when considering whether a power conditioner is intended to be a surge protector or a very expensive tone control.

Post removed