Resolution drop

Long ago, I was working with a dealer to learn if a certain component would work for me in a certain system. I was reading over some emails I have from then and the dealer wanting me to ask oppo if the resolution stayed the same when volume dropped from 100 in my bluray player. I wasn't aware that resolution dropped in any component. Does this effect have a name? What drops... bit rate, sampling frequency, clarity, intelligibility?

Resolution Definition pertaining to music
a. The progression of a dissonant tone or chord to a consonant tone or chord.
b. The tone or chord to which such a progression is made.

2020matters

+1 @reubent , digital volume controls will sacrifice resolution to control volume. An analogue pre-amp solves this issue and will bring a wider, more dynamic sound too, however good pre-amps will reveal shortcomings of the source components too if not properly matched.

@reubent Your explanation makes great sense, worded well and I won’t forget it anytime soon, thanks. The words bit stripping did come to mind, I thought that will be another question. I see now I was wrong. What I remember of the plan was, using an integrated amp in a home theater set up.

Turns out, the Oppo105 is not a bit stripper and it was suggested to look for a high end pre/pro instead, by the dealer.

The details left me, but, I did invest in a HT bypass preamp.

I was concerned with the whole lowering resolution part and now I have more search words to investigate this further. Any websites that you can point to? Earlier today, bit stripping didn’t have many results.

Again, thanks for the explanation.

@2020matters  - A quick Google Search of "Digital Volume Control" will find links to some articles that discuss the potential loss of resolution with digital volume control.

If I recall correctly, the issue has been reduced/mitigated by increasing the digital word link from 16 bit to 24/32 bits or more. The original problem was from a time 20+ years ago when digital audio was in its early development period.